Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Perseids

Xunil

Hi Everyone!

After reading the thread about the upcoming star party, I'm left a bit confused - the date I can find for the peak of the perseid shower is the 12th, reaching a crescendo in the morning of the 13th, but the star party thread says it's on the 17th according to Nasa.

I got my info here.

Can someone throw some light on so I can get the right night, I'd really love to see this.

Many thanks,

Tel.

Ok from the horses mouth (well sir patrick moore) the best time to start watching will be from 2.00am on the morning of the 13th of August, they predict you will see at the best bit upto 80+ an hour. They mention the little horse constellation? as the best place to be looking.

Looking at the radiant in Perseus will limit what you see because the meteors are coming straight at you. Watch askance, and they'll be "stretched out". Perseids are faint and fast anyway, so it's easy to miss them if you look right at Perseus. Trace their path backward toward Perseus to verify their origin.

Archived