Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope lens cover

I don't know if this is the actual use for it but i use it when the moon is really bright, if you take the cap off you will notice that you can still see stuff when you look through your eyepiece, like i said i don't know if this is the actual meaning for it but that's what i use it for.

I don't know if this is the actual use for it but i use it when the moon is really bright, if you take the cap off you will notice that you can still see stuff when you look through your eyepiece, like i said i don't know if this is the actual meaning for it but that's what i use it for.

Yes, you can use it to look at bright things (Moon, planets) where you don't necessarily need the full area of the primary mirror, and can benefit by minimising stray light or any irregularities of the mirror. Or else (and this is what it's actually meant for) the Sun, by projection or with an appropriate filter over the reduced aperture.

Also useful if you want to dry out a dewed primary overnight without letting in too much dust.

My 80mm refractor also has a second small cap, concentric with the larger one: this is for stopping down the aperture, effectively increasing the focal ratio and reducing aberration.

You will hear good things about "Making Every Photon Count" - alas I don't own a copy (yet) but when I get my new setup I will for sure, as I will be heading down the AP route (the darkside called and I listened!) :)

That book is a little expensive for me right now. I am trying to get myself some decent eyepieces at the moment that will cut right into my budget. Any cheaper recommendations?

For book's if your absolutely skint just use the internet, I'm sure you could find some online books in PDF files.

And what eye pieces are you looking for?

I was going to go for Vixen plossls ep's (6mm, 10mm, 20mm and 30mm). I am very new to astronomy and have been using supplied MAs (10mm and 25mm) which arent great.

I'm new to astronomy myself =), I was reading a thread the other day about two sets of eyepieces and everyone was saying that one of them was really good, i'm trying to find it for you now, and if you ever want to get a barlow lens i think TAL is a good one to go for.

Archived