NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader or Astonomik LRGB Filters

Earl

Im goinf to get a set of 2 inch LRGB Filters this week, but which out of these are the beter filters, from my research over the weekend there does not seem to be much in it, any commemnts?

I can't give you an opinion between the two sets, but my Baader parfocals are really very good - Whether the Astronomik ones would have been any different, who knows? I'm sure you'll be happy with either, they are decent filters.

Another +1 on Baader (1.25" at least) : but I haven't use Astronomik other than the CLS clip.

I think there's some issue with halos on older Astronomiks (if you're going second hand) to bear in mind, though that might just be the NB filters.

I use Astronomik but have never used Baader so cannot make a comparison.

The difference is probably something minor in the specs anyway.

They are both pretty much premium filters. I only bought Astronomik because I had a load of vouchers otherwise I would have gone for the slightly cheaper Baaders.

2" filters OUCH, wallet busting or what....at least it's a one off cost and you shouldn't need to upgrade !

Having had halo issues with Astronomik Ha and O111 filters I went for Baader and have been delighted by them. Astronomik are supposed to have cured the halo with the later versions but I can't say I'm totally convinced by my replacements.

Olly

I use Astronomik but have never used Baader so cannot make a comparison.

The difference is probably something minor in the specs anyway.

They are both pretty much premium filters. I only bought Astronomik because I had a load of vouchers otherwise I would have gone for the slightly cheaper Baaders.

2" filters OUCH, wallet busting or what....at least it's a one off cost and you shouldn't need to upgrade !

Well saying that I have just looked at the 36mm option and it saves me over £200 for the whole kit, and works fine with my ccd... however if i go for a bigger sensor in the future.......

Well saying that I have just looked at the 36mm option and it saves me over £200 for the whole kit, and works fine with my ccd... however if i go for a bigger sensor in the future.......

Cross that bridge when you come to it :)

Well to consider the issues..

What size filter:

Currently I have the Atik 383L+ this is fine with 36mm, If I go for a bigger sensor in the future 2 inch would be better.. However my future upgrade path would probably with with the square sensor Atiks, which will be fine with 36mm also I believe. (4000 for 460EX).

Another advantage to the 36mm Size is they all fit in one wheel LRGB, Ha, SII and OIII, that will ensure less faffing and also once the filters are in they have no need to come out, this removes a potential damage situation.

So overall, I loose some compatibility with large chips, but I have to weigh up the fact that I might not ever own one so 2" could be considered over engineering.

Now the next issue is which Filterwheel.

An Atik EFW2 with a T-Adapter is going to cost me £491.00.

A Starlight Xpress will cost me £295.00

I have heard good and bad about both in equal parts...:)

Daz, where do you get a wheel for those to fit?

Starlight Xpress filter wheel, with the carousel for the 36mm filters. It's a selectable option when you order the wheel, or you can buy it separately

Archived