Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Visual difference

Hi,

I stuck between a 200P-EQ5 or a 150P-EQ3-2.

My question is how much difference is there between the two when it comes to visual observing. Is the 200P a big jump up regarding DSO's etc?

I'm stumped on which of the two to buy..

You will see more detail with the 200P as it has a better light gathering capacity and will be good for feinter DSO's, I presume it is the f/5 150P you are looking at, so they will both show rich fields and have good views at low power, however, if you are looking at the f/8 (the longer focal tube), then this will be slightly better at panetary and Moon studies. The general advice on this forum is always go for aperture, ie. the best you can afford and transport. Are you aware of the size of the 200P, have you seen it at all, it is quite a beast, so you will need to store it safely.

The 200 will collect 78% more light.

However the eye does not detect in a linear fashon, so you will not see 78% more objects, and those will be the ones that are dimmer anyway.

It may depend on whether or not you intend to go beyond 200. If you do then get the 150 now then jump to 250. If 200 is as big as you intend to ever use then get the 200 now.

It won't be a mindblowing difference to be honest, but it IS a difference. On fainter objects, it will be the difference between seeing them with averted vision, or seeing them directly just about.

On brighter objects, like orion, andromeda, etc, the difference will be slightly more pronounced. Ie. a bit more nebulosity and detail with the 200p.

Planetary wise i doubt you'l notice much difference, at least not at first. As your eye gets more sensitive and you "learn" to see, the 200p will probably be a shade better.

Aperture is king, but you'l enjoy either scope. There really isn't a wrong choice.

They are OK. Think they're both plossls. The older ones came with "modified achromat" type and were pretty awful.

The 25mm is quite acceptable, and the 10mm is decent enough to last you a few months untill you know what you want from an eyepiece.

BST (or starguider as they're known now) are decent enough eyepieces, the 8mm is my workhorse most nights. There are more expensive options if you want to go down that route, but it'd be worth trying a few different designs to find what you want from an eyepiece, be it comfort, optical precision, eye relief etc. Eyepieces are personal, but the BST's are pretty much uniformly liked, and pretty well priced. Also worth looking at are the vixen NPL range of plossls.

Hi, the best thing is to get used to the ep's that come with the scope so you get to know your viewing preferences, consider new ep's when you've had a bit more experience. My recommendation is the BST Explorers (now called StarGuiders), cracking ep's and well engineered from 'Sky's the Limit'.

Thanks for all your help.

I'm going to order a 200P, as I know I'll always be wondering if I buy a 150P..

In regards to the eyepieces I'll take your advice and hang on before I go down that route. Thanks again

The 200 is a good choice, you won't regret it.

It's a wise move with eyepieces to wait and see, only when you've decided where your observing priorities are will you know what focal length you need. My guess would be a 13mm and a 5mm :)

I would agree with your decision on the 200P, very popular size and the aperture will give you plenty of options. If and when you come to upgrade your kit, the 200P will hold a good resale value because of it's popularity and so will benefit your next purchase. Eyepieces are personal in what you want them to do (field of view) and what your eye is prepared to tolerate (stars out of focus at the edge, eye relief if you wear glasses etc). One way round this is to join a local astro club or observers group in order to participate with them and to try out the eyepieces that they are using to see what suits. Eyepieces can be expensive when they are designed to provide very wide fields of view, use specific glass or have special coatings to boost contrast etc but there are also many reasonably priced eyepieces that are great to use and do what they say on the tin.

Clear skies

James

I have joined an Astro group. But as of yet the weather hasn't been suitable for observing nights which is a shame. There's no rush so I'm prepared to wait, I've been deciding on a scope for 4 months alone!

Archived