Google tells me this model binoculars is best

You guys probably get this a lot, but.. what do you think of the Nikon Action EX Extreme 10x50? I like the price, but it also seems to have all the important features. 6.5 fov, 5mm max exit pupil, waterproof.

this would be the set I bring with me on my nightly walks with the dog. Also good to know if they would be good to use in winter.

I'm not personally familiar with this particular pair of binoculars that you are interested in but in my quest to find out some information, I came across this review of the above range of binoculars along with a comparison of two other well known brands.

James

I too Googled and researched which 10x50 binocular would be 'the best' and ordered a pair of Pentax WCPII10x50 from FLO after the favourable reviews and recommendation of other users. I received them and had used them for over a week but I seemed to struggle to get decent views without a fight. The collimation was fine and there was nothing 'wrong' with them other than I just didn't feel comfortable with them. The guys at FLO were very helpful by providing advice and support in order to resolve the issue, but all to no avail. So I sent them back and started to Google etc again.

After dismissing the Nikon AE 10x50 during my research, I went into a local shop, tried out a pair and bought them immediately! I found that they had greater clarity, were easier to use and more comfortable than the Pentax. It's no good having a 'superior' product if it isn't suited to you as you will not use them. I have been really happy with mine.

Based on my experience, I don't think you will go far wrong with the Nikon. They are waterproof and nitrogen filled so should be ok in winter. In fact, I have been using mine since November and I have had no problems with them whatsoever.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Always good to read a different opinion. Since I'm upgrading from a cheap 7x35, I probably couldn't go too far wrong with either model. It's also not the last set I intend to buy. Will have to pick one, then learn what features I like.

So I decided to order the Pentax model, along with a light travel tripod. Hope it comes in before the new moon this weekend. It was a bit more expensive ordering from a Canadian retailer.

Mirror mounts for downward binocular viewing looks interesting, but the images would be, well, mirrored. Perhaps not the best situation for a guy just learning how the stars are orientated normally. Has anyone seen a double mirror system for reversing the mirror effect?

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't place any bets on the weather co-operating just yet. It's frustrating for everyone but especially so if you have just bought a new piece of kit that you are dying to try out.

The build quality of the Pentax is really good and they really do feel as though they could take a few knocks. They are a quality instrument for the price and have good optics, but as I posted previously, they just weren't for me. Shame really.

Maybe it's because my eyes are old and bent :hello2:

Enjoy your new bins!

I wouldn't place any bets on the weather co-operating just yet. It's frustrating for everyone but especially so if you have just bought a new piece of kit that you are dying to try out.

The build quality of the Pentax is really good and they really do feel as though they could take a few knocks. They are a quality instrument for the price and have good optics, but as I posted previously, they just weren't for me. Shame really.

Maybe it's because my eyes are old and bent :hello2:

Enjoy your new bins!

Neat that you own 3 different bins. Which set do you use most often? Eventually I'd like to graduate to a higher magnification, but there's so many other items to get first. A bin mount, a tracking mount, a better camera for astrophotography, software (like the full version of Skytools), etc.

Are there any astronomy hobbyists making money rather than spending it? :)

Depends what I'm looking at really. I use the 10x50 for general browsing around the sky and the 25x70 if I want to get a little more detail. For instance, if I look at Jupiter in the 10x50 I don't see all the moons but with the 25x70 I see them all. The 20x80 grab more light so give a better view of the Orion Nebula (my favourite object - just beautiful). I also use the 25x70 if there is a little light pollution from the moon as they give a little more contrast.

I've yet to use the 25x70 and 20x80 at a dark site but hope to do so when the weather improves.

The only drawback with bins is getting them mounted on something that makes them both comfortable to view with and steady enough to see more detail. I was surprised just how much more detail can be resolved mounting the 10x50.

The other 2 have to be mounted unless you have arms like an all in wrestler to keep them steady enough to stop the dancing star show that results from hand holding them:D

I always wanted a parallelogram mount, but the decent ones are really expensive which leads me nicely on to your comment re astronomers making money. I suppose there are some who sell photo's but I expect tha most spend more out than they get in return;)

Wish I saw this earlier....I have the Nikon Action EX binos and find them great. Maybe a slight hint of CA but other than that I love them. Only really use them on holidays, or watching birds, I think I need to get an adapter to attach them to a tripod and try them at night.

Anyway, looks like your sorted now...happy days :hello2:

Wish I saw this earlier....I have the Nikon Action EX binos and find them great. Maybe a slight hint of CA but other than that I love them. Only really use them on holidays, or watching birds, I think I need to get an adapter to attach them to a tripod and try them at night.

Anyway, looks like your sorted now...happy days :hello2:

You don't need a tripod to use them at night, just point and look :)

Perry

I use these techniques http://binocularsky.com/binoc_hold.php

Perry

I found technique #4 to be pretty effective. Will be good for when I'm walking the dog. For times the I'll be in one spot for a longer period of time I'll use a tripod. Even the article you posted agrees:

"For larger binoculars and for better stability for all binoculars, the solution is to mount them"

The moon was big and bright last night, so I just had to point the new bins at it. There has been many higher detailed moon images posted here, but by bin viewing, I got a better sense of the moon's 3 dimensional nature. Don't know if that's technically perceivable with 10x50s, but the moon definitely looked less like a flat disk.

Moonlight was too intense for major stargazing, but I did try a few quick glances. Lol. Got lost quick, and got a good feeling for how much arm strain would be involved. Tripod will be a must for me until I get my bearings.

Hard to say decisively without tripod, but I think I have the same double star view problem with these new bins, as I have with my cheap 7x35s. When I view with two eyes, every star is doubled. Not as bad with the new bins, but noticeable. No problem in the daytime, viewing birds and such.

Hard to say decisively without tripod, but I think I have the same double star view problem with these new bins, as I have with my cheap 7x35s. When I view with two eyes, every star is doubled. Not as bad with the new bins, but noticeable. No problem in the daytime, viewing birds and such.

Sounds like you have collimation problems with both your bins. This is very noticeable whilst looking at a star but not as apparent in the daytime. Have a friend look through them and see if he has the same problem, that way you can eliminate effects caused by your eyesight. If he too sees double images then I would return them for a replacement.

Have you checked that the bins are set to your IPD (Inter Pupil Distance) and that you have focused them correctly?

It is not unusual for bins to arrive out of collimation once they've been kicked around the couriers van a few times, but any reputable dealer will exchange them. I personally would not accept an uncollimated new binocular.

The best way to determine if there is a collimation problem is to try a test used by many bin users which works well. Tripod mount the bins, adjust and focus on a distant object then slowly back your head away slowly from the bins by a few inches whilst maintaining the view through each eyepieces. Try to keep your eyes relaxed.

If they are collimated you will continue to see one image, if they are out of collimation then you will see a double image.

Obviously, if you have double images before backing off then they are out of collimation anyway!

HTH

Archived