Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Got my new scope...just one question...

I picked up my SW Mak 127 today with a Synscan EQ3 mount, but I had to go to work before I could open the box and set it all up :(

I've been reading the instructions, vaguely, (I have a mental block with instructions and rather look at the pictures and wing it), I've read on various websites that the mount takes 8 batteries, which is ok as I get them for free at work, but I'm not sure if that's just for the handset and I need a power pack for the mount or that the 8 batts will do the mount too? Thanks for any advice, and thanks to Glen for the help in making my mind up overall! :D

Strange something like that would take batteries. Curious how much life you get when tracking for a couple hours.

Unless I've read it wrong (very possible), but the article said you could use batteries for the mount but they won't last a night. But come to think of it, it might have been for the Celestron mount for the 6SE I was also thinking of buying. :D

If it has an AC adapter port, you can hook a portable power supply to it.

I have an Ac to DC adapter I just found in work, output is 16v. I guess that's no good is it? I'll have to do more searching. No way can I afford one of them power packs yet. The old cable method will have to do for a while. I'll only have 10% of the sky to see from my patio though :D

I have an Ac to DC adapter I just found in work, output is 16v. I guess that's no good is it? I'll have to do more searching. No way can I afford one of them power packs yet. The old cable method will have to do for a while. I'll only have 10% of the sky to see from my patio though :D

The Synscan should be powered by a 11 - 15vDC power supply (tip positive) producing a continuous current of 2 amps. The psu powers both the mount and the handset.

Peter

Canadian Tire I guess is our Maplins, and those units are 60 bucks the cheapest. I can't justify buying one after yesterday's purchase lol. The instructions that come with Synscan are vague at best, but I don't think it takes batteries. I've mixed up my mounts during my research period. I have the cable to plug it into the car so that's ok. Just have to find something to power it while I update the handset. Thanks all! :D

The instructions are generic - FLO told me exactly that when I asked them a similar question. If you power it from your car be careful you dont flatten the battery, car batteries are not for constant drain, they are for a short high current draw.

I can also wreck your car battery putting a constant drain on it. My scope uses 8 'D' cell batteries which I used when I first got the scope as I had some in the house. I was actually quite surprised at how long the lasted, used them for a week or so before I decided to use my booster pack and they are still good now as I use the pack now again when I need to get a quick fix on a cloudyish night.

Thanks Ainsley and Tribal-Wolf, I went to Canadian Tire and bought the booster pack anyway. In for a penny, in for a pound lol.

As for the instructions, I winged it. I understand the generic bit, but there is NO part which is the same! The whole connecting up the Synscan was different also. Anyway, I'm nearly up and running. I would take it out tonight as its clear skies but there's a very important FA Cup game on at 4:30am and I finish work at midnight! :(

Come on you Reds!!! :D

Archived