I should prob know better

Well this thread could fit in here, scopes in equipment and in DIY but more people are in here so here goes:)

What is the smallest size DSO scope

As in what scope size (aperature) is the minimum needed for proper dso.

I'm interested in a DIY scope for traveling that could live in my car independently but I want to try small Incase I mess it up so realisticly how big should the mirrors be. 102,114, 6" ect

It is a reflector that I'm gonna make :D

Thanks for any help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not really a clear cut thing. Some DSOs can be seen naked eye, others with 70mm fracs... Generally though, i'd imagine 130mm is as low as you'd want to go if you want pleasing views. You can pick up a 130mm mirror set on astroboot pretty cheap, been thinking about doing it myself too. :D

Most all the Messier objects we are meant to avoid were recorded by Charles Messier using his favorite scope a 4.75" refractor, which optically would have been inferior to todays standards, although he would have had the advantage of no light pollution. I doubt someone will raise the question of M1 but it is thought that at the time it was much brighter than it is now :D

John.

I have a very old Jap 76mm f600 cat Astro reflector that mounts on a table top and the views of the Moon/Planets/Stars with 6mm and 9mm Orthoscopic eps is quite remarkable and it is so compact it has been taken to quite a few dark sights in the past and mounted on a picnic table :D

John.

Noo not at all. Until I get the az3 it's a potch to set up. In my house I'm a ground floor flat in a Victorian house but it has a basement and my garden I actually have to climb down metal stairs which are at a angle cos of slight subsidence lol so by time I carry everything down its usually cloudy:( lol

I bet that was something

I remember not long ago power cuts quite frequently to point we had so many candles in the house. Nothing any more:(

My prinz stral500 is in its way wooooo

Oh dear - does that mean my WO 72mm Megrez APO is out then for DSOs?

I could just about see a faint grey smudge from the light polluted skies of London with it, with a 4mm EP (432/4=108x).

There's quite a few DSOs you can see with that aperture. I would suggest a larger eyepiece though. Too much magnification will make images feinter. Try a 20mm or 25mm eyepiece for better results.

My fav is my 30mm vixen nice in that scope for m45 and beehive :D

For me my garden is about all i can do. Fuel is too expensive to drive to dark places apart from one perticular one on the way to work. (Cwmcarn forest drive)

Archived