Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and stargazing in general. So here's my first question. Can anyone tell me if Polaris is always visible in the night sky? I am looking at the plough and following the line across to where Polaris should be, there is a bright star that is to the left of this imaginary line. Would that be polaris? Am at a lattitude of 54.5, if anyone can tell me if they can see it? I know there is a lot of polaris related questions on here so my apologies. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Polaris is always visible and it sounds as if you have found it. Follow the two top stars of Ursa Major in a line to the left and you will see Polaris. Its not a very bright star but you should be able to make it out. Have you downloaded Stellarium?

it should be visible in clear sky but it isn't the brightest star get stellarium and check i can usually see it [it's the only star in ursa minor i can see due to lp and is a straight line between merak and dubhe

You know what i find the iphone app star walk really really good, literally takes you to what you're looking for, and has loads of info too even got the RA and DEC measurements, just have to use your setting circles after that

Yes Polaris is always visible in the night sky. Are you following a line between the right stars in the plough? The line should be between Merak and Dubhe (that is the two stars making up the end of the 'box' furthest from the 'handle'. The line goes to the north of the two stars and isn't exactly straight, but you should come to Polaris as the first bright star that you come to (there are others obviously, but not as bright).

Do you have Stellarium on your PC, it is free planetarium software and by using the search facility and then highlighting the constellation outlines it all be comes clear.

Archived