Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What subjects make good widefield images?

I've recently made a bracket to fit on my scope to hold my DSLR for widefield imaging. The lenses I have are a 18-55mm Nikor and a 70-300mm Nikor on a Nikon D50.

At home, there's quite a bit of light pollution, and my scope's LP filter won't fit my camera, resulting in images like this for pictures close to the horizon. However, I'm not just looking for stuff I can see from an urban area. Images I'd like to capture are things like 'Barnards Loop' and M31, and perhaps the Markarians chain, but I was wondering what other objects show really well in wide field views?

551901_355466817830091_100001003274580_971170_2022031924_n.jpg

With those lenses, from a darkish sky site I'd be looking to capture wide views of the Milky Way and maybe include a bit of the landscape to. Your lenses are good for recording whole constellations especially the 18-55mm lens. Assuming you can track using the telecope mount you should get some okay results.

It's also possible to use some filtration on camera lenses, a deep red filter (wratten #91 or 29A or even a 680nm IR filter) will block a lot of light pollution an let the light of some nebulae through.

Here's a standard 50mm lens shot from a back garden in the Midlands

3062-3082_1024_hp_curves.jpg

Using the same lens in the Mid Wales countryside a much deeper result is possible.

DSCF3179_stack_003_SQUNIT_800.jpg

My scope mount is the NEQ6 Pro, so no problem with tracking. The main problem at home is the light pollution. My camera lens has a 52mm thread on the end, so are those filters available with a 52mm thread? My normal LP filter for use in the scope is I think a 42mm thread.

555361_355685284474911_100001003274580_972159_1641727346_n.jpg

You can get filters for Canon Cameras which fit inbetween the lens and the camera body so you can fit any lens (with the exception of the EF-s series) and you dont have to worry about the lens aperture.

Clip-Filter System

Hutech IDAS nebula filter LPS-P2 - for Canon DSLR

I have the Astronomik version but would like to try the Hutech version as I feel the colour cast left by the astronomik one is quite prominent. Although the Hutech one is a lot more expensive.

Regards

Kevin

I've seen the rear mounted filters on this forum, but having had a look at the lens, don't believe there's space to fit anything. A 52mm threaded filter looks to be the only option for my 18-55mm lens.

The standard astro 2" filters with a step down ring will work ok.. 2" filters are 48mm & step rings are cheap enough from places like Bristol Cameras.

I would see how you get on with the Skywatcher LP filter... its pretty much equivalent to the Baader Neodymium filter and does a reasonable job on the "orange" lp for the fairly low outlay...

Peter...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

There was a thread a week or so ago, about putting a filter, into a circlip, then into the rear of the lens - let me see if I can find it ..............

Looked a good solution for camera / lens imaging.

Looking at your set up there should be no need to bolt the camera to the scope- I'd be inclined to attach the camera directly to the EQ6, leave the scope at home and head out into the countryside. It would definately more portable to leave the scope behind.

You can bolt a ball & socket camera tripod head onto an EQ6 like this to allow the camera to point in any direction.

Dscf1901.jpg

A cheap light pollution filter solution for camera lenses is to near infra red filters like these:

IR 77mm Infra-Red 680nm 680 Infrared Filter 77 mm NEW | eBay

They will reject 90% of light pollution and let the red nebulostiy shine through and are quite cheap!

The Didymium 'red enhancer' filters could be worth a try too but I haven't experimented with these yet.

Hoya 62mm Red Intensifier Enhancing Glass Filter NEW | eBay

If I'm going observing, I always take everything; scope, camera the works. No point going half prepared! I like to see just as much as I like to image. Most places I've been so far, we set up straight out of the boot of the car. No need to go hiking with equipment, so portability isn't an issue.

Archived