NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Helios Apollo 15x70 L-bracket?

When I purchased my Helios Apollo 15x70, a metal bracket was supplied. In fact the thread on my old L shaped bracket did not seem compatible, so I sold it on. So might be best to first buy the binoculars, the suppied bracket is very stable.

Iain

I can confirm that the Apollo has a standard 1/4" 20tpi thread for an L bracket. However, there is insufficient space between the barrels for some brackets; you need one that is narrow laterally. The bracket is not part of the manufacturer's "scope of delivery"; uf one is included, it is a "vendor extra".

Sent from my HTC with Tapatalk (so probably riddled with weird predicted text)

I can highly recommend the Far-Sight Farpoint adaptor which is an extremely rigid, quick mounting system specially designed for heavy binoculars like yours. It also has a top plate for mounting a RDF or even a Celestron Skyscout, should you wish. It's a bit pricey at £55.00 (GreenWitch) but worth it in my opinion. The width of the bracket at the mounting point is 2 cms.

The Far Sight will work, because the mounting stud (that screws into the binocular mounting bush) projects beyond the constriction. The surface of the bush is recessed 4mm into the constriction. The constriction, at my IPD setting of 67.5mm, is 17mm wide at its narrowest point.

Picture, thousand words, etc:

post-13004-133877761823_thumb.jpg

Yup, just got the tape measure out and fully screwed in the Farpoint stud measures 6mm from the screw base to the slot where the bracket slips into the stud, so should work fine. I use it for my 16x70's and Manfrotto 501 pan head - it's a really nice piece of kit.

Picked up my bins last week but the supplied L-bracket has its thread set too deep to fit on a quick release plate for my main photographic tripod. I ordered the Strathspey one which is sturdier and fits nicely.

I've only had a quick gap in the clouds since I got them but was stunned by M44 even under our ghastly LP skies. Normally just a smudge in 8x42s, it resolved into dozens of separate stars. Can't wait to get them out to the countryside.

I can confirm that the Apollo has a standard 1/4" 20tpi thread for an L bracket. However, there is insufficient space between the barrels for some brackets; you need one that is narrow laterally. The bracket is not part of the manufacturer's "scope of delivery"; uf one is included, it is a "vendor extra".

Sent from my HTC with Tapatalk (so probably riddled with weird predicted text)

When I bought my Helios Apollo 15x70s Moonshane gave me an adapter he got from FLO (I believe) and it didn't fit, to be fair he did say he'd never used it with the bins, so I used a large opticron bracket instead: which fitted perfectly.

I just thought I'd mention this so people know the opticron bracket will fit.

Archived