A zoom question.

I was just wondering.If I have an eyepiece in the scope that gives say x100,then attach my point and click camera to the scope.If I slightly zoom in with the camera to just x2,will this give the equivalent zoom of x200?

I hope that makes sense.

Danny.

Hiya mate,I'm not sure if I've worded it correctly.:)

Basically if I'm using my compact camera for afocal and I've got a 10mm eyepiece attached giving me x100,when I zoom the camera slightly to get rid of the border the camera is just zoomed at x2 will this be the equivelant view of having an eyepiece of x200?

Danny.

Don't see why not. The zoom will basically just enlargew the centre of the view seen through the EP, and so making it bigger. There is a quality issue here though, but as Tribal Wolf says - give it a go, no harm in trying. Make sure you post the results though for us all to see.

Thanks for the replies.I did it the other night,I was just wondering if it's better to use a wider ep with some camera zoom,or a more powerful ep with no camera zoom.

I found it tricky to position the camera and get rid of the black circle with a 9mm ep,but when I used a 25mm ep it seemed to get rid of the round border with a little zoom.

Here's a pic from the other night with it zoomed slightly on a 31mm ep.I popped in a moon filter for the first time.Looks a bit brown though.I haven't got many options because I don't have a working laptop so I can only use the iPad to upload it.

251de30c.jpg

Danny.

I have seen a camera holder somewhere. It lets you mount your camera up to the eyepiece. Using an Slr would use a t ring but this adaptor just accepted a small digital camera allowing you to focus properly with the camera. I'll find it and post.

Nice pic of the moon anyway.

Thanks Carl,I did buy a skywatcher adaptor but I picked the wrong one and the Hyperion ep is too big for the clamp.Could do with a bigger one.

Danny.

Edit I didn't know there was a 2 inch one,looks like I'll be ordering that today.

Thanks mate.Much appreciated.

Very nice tiddles thanks for that,it looks great.:)

Thanks Brant.Ive only got a little Panasonic point and shoot camera at the moment.I hope to go for an SLR sometime in the near future,so I will pickup the relevant t ring at the same time.

I've given the adaptor that's too small to one of my mates who is planning on starting up soon.

Danny.

Thanks guys.

Brant that a great collection you have there.I especially like the Hyperion zoom.Everytime I see one it sends me into thinking mode.:)

I've ordered the bigger adaptor from FLO so hopefully it should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.I'll test it out ASAP and put the pictures on here.

Archived