Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

North-East England 'Dark Site'?

veesix

Currently on the border between Middlesbrough and North Yorkshire, but getting all the fantastic orange industrial glow on some nights.

Does anyone know of reasonable spotting/watching areas nearby? Ideally safe/secure to park up and use the kit!

Was that just last night or most nights? I'm quite high up at Marton/Nunthorpe area so we always get freak cloud (and freak snow...).

I've considered when I get kitted up to pop along to Roseberry Topping area or even further afield to Lordstone's Cafe.

you only need a ticket for the shows in the planetarium, the guys usually set up their own scopes in the car park and they are very enthusiastic and friendly, my first wow moments were with these guys and they were primarily responsible for me buying my first scope. since then i have'nt looked back

pete

• 4 months later...

I'm not far from you Cliff, just the other side of the rail way lines in Park End.

I heard Ripon has a really good dark site. Probs about 45 minutes away?

Any thoughts on having a get together?

Rob

Cool - was considering the Wynyard meeting, but looks to be a bit elitist with tickets etc?

I've never been to a Wynyard meeting, but I called up yesterday to reserve a space for the 'What's up?' talk tomorrow night, and today I had a call back confirming the place... and was also invited along to the 9pm open viewing session.

As for dark spots, I would try Birk Brow Hill just past Guisborough on the A171. If you're not familiar with it, it's a very steep bank and there's a car park at the top and it's right on the edge of the North York Moors.

My disclaimer though, i've not been there or used it as a dark site, I've not even got my own scope/mount... yet.

top of osmotherley or sutton bank which is a registered national dark sky site, Kielder is another dark sky site but further north, derwent resevior as already mentioned and you will have other astronomers to talk to, tomorrow night is supposed to be a clear night so there may be a few up there.

• 2 weeks later...

As for dark spots, I would try Birk Brow Hill just past Guisborough on the A171. If you're not familiar with it, it's a very steep bank and there's a car park at the top and it's right on the edge of the North York Moors.

The only problem with Birk Brow is you get the light pollution from Middlesbrough really bad.

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived