Parabolic Mirrors

There are two telescopes I am looking at upgrading to.They are both the same but one has parabolic mirrors. The one with parabolic mirrors cost £10 more than the one without. Are parabolic mirrors worth the extra money?

P.S the two scopes are the SKYHAWK-1145 and the SKYHAWK-1145P

A parabolic mirror is only needed at short focal lengths. The f1000 version can get away with a spherical mirror as it has a long light path..but this is via a cat design.

The parabolic version is "non cat" and has a shorter focal length...

They both gather the same light and will be broadly the same to use but personally I would go for the pb one..In fact I would go further and say I would go for a dob mounted 130mm scope which will get more light in and be easier to use from a visuall point of view. The 114mm will allow basic astrophotography if you get the motorised version but a dob will not.

So many choices!

If you buy one second hand you can easily sell it on when you want to go for a bigger scope anyway!

Mark

I'd certainly always go for the one with a parabolic mirror. If a scope has a spherical mirror it requires additional correction to bring all of the light to focus at the same point. A parabolic mirror does this anyhow. I don't know if the spherical mirror version has any corrective lenses, but at that sort of price I'd be surprised if it did. If there's only £10 difference I have to admit that I struggle to see why they'd even offer two options. I see FLO only appear to list the parabolic mirror version, but it doesn't look like they have it in stock at the moment.

James

As below

This is very true for the extremely short focal length shown in your diagrams, the longer the focal length, the less significant this will become.

The difference between a spherical versus parabolic mirror at longer F/L's will be insignificant compared to quality of the profile and other items in the optical path.

Archived