First Night Out - Few Q's

Ok so I got the Dob out there tonight & I have to say I really enjoyed it.. Only spent about an hour (work in the morning) - It's really clear out here too.. I was using the Tal x2 with the 10mm & the moon looked amazing, great detail & really crisp..

I had a little look at Mars it was just as I expected, no real detail to be seen.. but nice.. Then Venus, she was stunning in the 25mm among a cluster of stars..

Jupiter & her moons on the other hand, I was a little let down by.. I had it in 2x Barlow & 10mm & i could see all the moons, but there was no detail at all in the jupiter (just orange blob)..

I wonder is that because it was low on the horizon? but mind you I do think the scope needs collimated.. Would I notice much of an increase in detail when it's aligned?

Also can't help but think I'm going to need a new EP or two.. Been eyeing up the Baader Zoom..

So anyways, I just stuck the cap back on it & lifted it back inside... (Is that OK?) I heard people talk about cooling it when coming back indoors?

Overall I'm delighted with my first night as a star gazer.. Pretty I didn't know where else & what else to look at.. I must have a look at this Turn Left book..

Happy Camper..

Turn left is spot on for your needs.

Jupiters lack of detail is most likely to be down to the amount of atmos your looking through with it being low .

Glad you like your new toy , happy days or nights.

Yeah Rory.. It's great just sticking in the 25mm & scanning through the eyepiece... but I don't know if i'll ever find these nebula etc.. I looked around orion & leo & all i seen was stars (points of bright light) even with the tal & 10mm - I think i need a 6mm or something..

If you found Orion ... look across the belt, hanging from the far left star is a 'dagger ' half way down the dagger is the Orion nebula. 4 stars surrounded by a fluffy cloud

Good luck with your new scope

a 6mm would be too much mag i think unless you get really good seeing conditions the lowest i have is an 8mm and somtimes i have to go back up to a 12mm. as for finding nebula you just need to look in the right place. have you got stellarium? and grab your self a telrad and a Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas [book] you will soon be checking objects off

I find the 10mm ok on it's own or with the barlow on very bright objects. I have a BST explorer 8mm which is quite nice and better than the 10mm without going too mad. You could get away with a 5mm on good seeing nights but you might want to check collimation, I find it makes a substantial difference to sharpness even it's not far out.

Good stuff guys.. Thanks for the help.. Anyone have an answer as to the best way to bring your scope back indoors.. I took it back into my room with the cap on, about half an hour later, I shower capped the bottom? Is this OK?

Also will i notice much of an improvement when I collimate, i think it is a little out atm..

I usually bring mine into the warm and leave it uncapped for as long as I leave it to cool in the first place. Even if its not dewed up outside, it inevitably mists over when it gets into the warm.

Archived