NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orions Belt

paul schofield

Me and the missus went out with the scope a couple of weeks ago... normally i get the "oh right.." responses, but she likes surfing around with the binos.

I took her out to see saturn, and after a 30minute session or so, i nipped to the car and left her with the scope, i came back to her saying "i think i found a galaxy... well... something...".

Sure enough she'd found the leo triplet (which i had previously tried and failed). Now she asks every day if it's going to be clear tonight. :icon_salut:

Awesome!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My better half has more scopes than Me :eek: a better understanding of the physics involved in astronomy than Me :icon_salut: has a 1st class Hon degree in Physical Science :D makes up actual proper observing lists before going out B) But she hates the cold and needs to go to bed early :)

Im perfectly suited to the cold and Im the right build to lift and carry all the assoociated kit needed for observing and astrophotography ;) I also have the patience of a Saint when it comes to finding and fixing problems real or imagined :eek:

So I would say We compliment eachother B)

My better half has more scopes than Me :eek: a better understanding of the physics involved in astronomy than Me :icon_salut: has a 1st class Hon degree in Physical Science :D makes up actual proper observing lists before going out B) But she hates the cold and needs to go to bed early :)

Im perfectly suited to the cold and Im the right build to lift and carry all the assoociated kit needed for observing and astrophotography ;) I also have the patience of a Saint when it comes to finding and fixing problems real or imagined :eek:

So I would say We compliment eachother B)

Lol Show off :):):)

My wife does a fine line of patronization :icon_salut::evil6:...

I do find it fascinating how some people are completely nonplussed looking at the night sky, same goes for my 2 daughters (late teens and early 20's), not even a glimmer of interest. I have a great view to the west form the window in our hall, so for the last month or so have had great views of Venus and Jupiter at dusk. No matter how many times I stand by the window and exclaim 'cooorrr, look at that' I will often hear 'what's up with dad?' - 'oh, he's just looking at his planets'....

My wife does a fine line of patronization :D:evil6:...

I do find it fascinating how some people are completely nonplussed looking at the night sky, same goes for my 2 daughters (late teens and early 20's), not even a glimmer of interest. I have a great view to the west form the window in our hall, so for the last month or so have had great views of Venus and Jupiter at dusk. No matter how many times I stand by the window and exclaim 'cooorrr, look at that' I will often hear 'what's up with dad?' - 'oh, he's just looking at his planets'....

Depressing isn't it.:icon_salut:

Depressing isn't it.:D

Well, yes and no. To me it is all simply mind boggling: here we are on our little rock, hurtling around our sun, that being only one of billions of others and that the distance to get to even the closest neighbouring star would take years, even if we could travel anywhere near the speed of light...... But then I'm in like minded company on this forum.

I just can't understand how that doesn't grab everyone's interest and attention. Still, it wouldn't do if we were all the same, would it now, so in a way I've gotta say viva-la-difference :icon_salut:..

When the 200P first arrived with boxes and boxes all over the carpet, the wife gave out an OMG and showed off how well conversed she is in Anglo-Saxon.

However, last night, whilst observing the various craters on the moon, she commented the scope didn't look that big any more. (Could have been the white wine......)

16" Light bridge here we come !!

my fiance is a pain when it comes to astronomy. He likes to have a look through the scope and ask "what it is" but he doesn't understand the concept of "don't touch" or the fact that my scopes don't show the same images as Hubble. He canot understand why someone would rather look through a scope at the sky rather then just look at pictures from Hubble. I think he just gets annoyed that I won't go to bed on clear nights to be honest.

Archived