Telescope storage; to shed or not to shed!

Hi everyone,

I have a 200p on an eq5 mount on its way to me. Storage within the house will not be an option as the wife will kill me!

What's everyone's thoughts on storing in a metal shed? It will be quite hot in summer and blumming freezing in winter. Not sure if the scope will mind!:(

Am I being paranoid in worrying about it?

Cheers

Carl

Use a metal shed and make it so the roof opens - A "roll off Roof Observatory"! I use one myself and there is no problem with heat in the Summer as they are designed with roof vents to allow air circulation. Scopes are nowhere as sensitive as humans to what we consider "hot" and "cold". You will be fine leavoing the scope in the shed. Your main concern may well be dust and creepy-crawlies that will try to make their homes in your precious equipment.

(Have a look in my blog in my signature - around summer 2010 - to see how you can make a metal ROR observatory - nice bit of self-promotion!!)

I've been reading about heavy dewing in the mornings on the primary mirror. I know about storing it face down to stop the mirror getting puddles on it. My main concern is rusting when dew forms and damage due to dew in general. Anyone had these problems?

Archived