Help me enthusiastic beginner

I need to ask a dumbass question i once aligned scope up but then searched by turning the whole thing so my counterweight is always at the front and facing downwards what am i doing wrong as i have seen youtube videos where the scope is on its side and all sorts i am obviously polar aligning then losing it by moving the whole damn thing, I am a newbie afterall I am hoping to learn from the masters

You should balance your scope by moving the counterweight until balance is achieved. you may find that when you move the scope around to a traget the eyepiece will be in an awkward position. In this case you will need to rotate the scope in the scope rings.

youtube is far and away the best place to learn how to use an EQ mount :( I watched a few videos on youtube before I got my mount and I never once had any issue with it from the moment I unboxed it, makes total sense once you've seen how to set it up and how to work it :(

Once polar aligned, as long as you leave the tripod aligned, you can undo the R.A & Dec locks, and move the scope around to point at what you want to see, then lock the R.A & Dec again. For balancing, you need to balance the scope with the weights, and also balance the actual scope in the dovetail holding bracket, so that it doesn't swing about and hit the tripod when you unlock R.A & Dec. :(

Guys I think i got it, i balanced, polar aligned and then did what u said and hey presto tracking and finding was so much easier and effortless I attached my iphone and got this of the moon with basic manufacturer cam software

Thank you

post-34932-133877755298_thumb.jpg

Guys I think i got it, i balanced, polar aligned and then did what u said and hey presto tracking and finding was so much easier and effortless I attached my iphone and got this of the moon with basic manufacturer cam software

Thank you

Like it

Archived