NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader Hyperion 10mm on the way:-))))))

M4lcs67

After much deliberating as to whether I should get a fixed focal length 68 degree Hyperion ep or the Hyperion zoom, been a naughty boy and ordered a Hyperion 10mm to go with my 24mm. I have very high hopes for this one and if it performs as well as my 24mm then I will be very happy indeed. Report to follow. Come on Mr Postie, get a move on!!!!!!!!

Hi Twotter. Not yet, but will be at some point. I do like the fact that the Hyperions are of a modular design, so you can alter the focus length, thereby getting another ep for the price of a ftr. Hell of a lot cheaper than shelling out on another ep.

The FTRs are very useful. My 17mm is more or less permanently adjusted to 13mm for DSOs, while for the Jupiter opposition it is permanently set to 9mm as it gives the sharpest view at 150x of my three 9mm options.

Have just looked on the FLO website and there is a section on the Baader Hyperion page which has a graph showing what you can get with all the different ep's when attached to the ftr apart from the 10mm. Maybe they haven't updated their page as the 10mm on is quite new I think. In any case I did a rough calculation going by the 13 and 8mm ones and halved it to get close to the 10mm. Don't know if that is correct, but I think it will be reasonably close. With the 14mm ftr I should get close to 8mm with the 10mm ep (hopefully). In any case that would be on the basis that the seeing was good. Also they say that you need to do the swapover in a clean enviroment to prevent contamination with dust. I guess you would have to be careful if you were changing over all the time.

Also they say that you need to do the swapover in a clean enviroment to prevent contamination with dust. I guess you would have to be careful if you were changing over all the time.

I change my FTRs outside in the garden whilst I'm sat next to my telescope, though I do take care not to drop anything :(

Malc, there is a version of the table with 10mm included on web, I think on baader's own website. I saw it last week before I ordered one + the 2 FTR's. It was approx 8 (with 14mm), 7 (with 28mm) and 6 (with both.) There were decimel piont figures ie it may be 8.4 not 8. 0. The main reason I bought the Hyp was it's ability to give me 4 lengths for £110, so at c.£27 a length is cheaper than buying individuals.

Nice one Eastridge. I saw it on the David Hinds website on the Hyperion 10mm page. Gives a full rundown on what you can get with a combination of adaptor rings and filters. Like you say, hell of a lot cheaper getting the rings rather than going out and buying a whole new eyepiece.

Having recieved my new Hyperion 10mm and doing a little bit more research (thanks Martin @ FLO) the consensus is that with the combination of my 127 SLT and my Hyperion 10mm that I should get the 14mm ftr as I will be able to wring 8.4mm out of it. I may probably get away with the 28mm but as the 127 is nearly f12 you may find at 7.1mm you will be chasing the "seeing" on most nights.

With that in mind looks like a 14mm ftr then. I think after that I will have wrung as much out of my scope and eyepieces that is possible. No more spending then (that will make the wife very happy)......

Archived