Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

110 mm Russian made TAL1

Gaz15

Hi there,

I have been looking for a while at different scopes and have come upon this model :?.

It looks good for what I want, primarily planetary and lunar, definitely not into photography at the minute, would like to get my bearings first!

Was wondering if anybody has had experience of this scope and if so what are your views of it for a first scope, good and bad points.

Thanks for the help

Gary

Pros: Built like a tank, easy to use, quality optics.

Yup. Also very easy to collimate and stays collimated for an AGE.

Cons: Terrible manual.

Nothin t'do w'me Tony - honest :D:lol: Also resale price is appauling, though this means you could pick one up secondhand fer around £60.

I had a Tal1 as did quite a few SGL'rs. Fantastic lil' scope. Don't think anyone here'll have anythin bad t'say bout em, though nowadays larger scopes tend t'get recommended instead. THIS would be pretty good for an extra £65. Would also be very good for planetary n lunar. For another £5 THIS would be a good buy too if photography really isn't a factor.

I've used one Gary and think it is a fantastic scope. The optics are top notch with tiny round stars across the full field. Mine was on a pedestal mount and the whole set up was very solid. The pedestal means the EP is often quite low so helpful to have a low chair. Planetary views are very good. I once had a night of fabulous seeing when the Cassini division in the rings of Saturn was very sharply defined. The guide scope is ok but I would recommend a red dot finder.

The mount is very solid although the slow motion controls have limited travel. With a steady hand on the RA slo mo and a reasonable polar alignment it is possible to do planetary and lunar imaging with this scope. Below is an image of Saturn I took with the Tal1

image.jpg

Yep superb scope. As it happens I've got to collect one from my sister tomorrow that she's asked to sell for her. They are moving away and don't have room in the cottage.

Was bought new a year ago, used half a dozen times, located in Kent.

cheers

Dave

Archived