Help Please... beginner struggling..!!!

Hi guys,

Right I bought a reflector telescope not long ago and at first I concentrated on the moon, I finally figured out how to set up and had great fun viewing the moon in some detail.

I then naturally decided the next step would be to move onto planets, with venus, jupiter and mars showing themselves clearly in the nights sky. I have attempted to view them all several times but have hit somewhat of a stumbling block.

Everytime I try to view, I am just seeing a blurry white circle with a shape over the top which is basically a cross with a fat bit in the centre. this obviously is the front part of the telescope.

Why am I seeing this? I have spent hours reading on the internet and my telescope is definitely strong enough to view the planets, its obviously a user issue.

I have read similar posts and people have suggested I am viewing a star not the planet, however I am fairly certain that I'm not because I have tried numerous times using all varieties of gadgets, apps etc to establish what Im viewing.

I would be so so grateful if somebody could help.

THANKYOU...:)

Welcome to SGL.

Fixed the ext colour for you :) (Black text on a dark grey background isn't easy to read!)

The fat bit with a cross is the secondary mirror and spider veins. This is simply a sign that you are not in focus. Twist the focuser and the "doughnut" will get smaller and smaller and when it is at it's smallest your in focus and should have a view of the planet!

Cheers

Ant

Hi guys, thanks for the quick response.

I have tried a lot of times to try and focus in and out, the image still remains over a bright white blurry circle. No planetary detail.

I really do feel like I am missing something.

Welcome to SGL.

Fixed the ext colour for you :) (Black text on a dark grey background isn't easy to read!)

The fat bit with a cross is the secondary mirror and spider veins. This is simply a sign that you are not in focus. Twist the focuser and the "doughnut" will get smaller and smaller and when it is at it's smallest your in focus and should have a view of the planet!

Cheers

Ant

I had to hightlight it to see it.

I have amended your text to pale grey as the black text was really hard to read. hope you don't mind.

assuming you are indeed looking at the brighter planets then what you are seeing is the planet, possibly out of focus, possibly not and also the diffraction spikes of the secondary spider. with very bright objects you see this but for most things you don't.

a few things to mention :

cooling - leave the scope outside for at least 30-60 minutes before you start observing

seeing - the seeing often means you are restrited in your magnifications to maybe 120-250x depending on how steady the atmosphere is. seeing can also make the image sharp, then fuzzy then sharp almost constantly so you need to really look for 30 minutes or more. this will also allow your eyes to acclimatise to the brightness and you'll then begin to get detail.

focus - once you find the position where focus is sharp don't keep constantly trying to 'find' focus as it's the seeing that's changing not the focus point.

different targets, different challenges - venus is best at moderately low power as you'll see no detail, just the phase. jupiter does not take magnification that well but is big and shows a lot of detail and constant changes with patience. mars needs high power and reveals it's details with great reluctance. Saturn is the best in a way, takes power well and is just a jewel.

hope this helps a bit. patience will reward your efforts.

no sorry, I dont have a way of uploading pictures at present.

when you say focuser? do you mean the part of the viewing lense that I can turn to extend etc.

Sorry I really am a novice and can imagine im making some daft errors.

I have succesfully looked at the moon in detail with different magnifications, so i must have the telescope set up correctly right????

This is my scope.

Jessops 800-80 Astronomical Telescope

Specification:

• 800mm focal length
  • 80mm objective diameter
  • Focal ratio: F/10
  • 40x Minimum magnification
  • 399x Maximum magnification

Box Contents:

• Reflector telescope
  • 6mm, 12.5mm and 20mm eyepieces
  • Electronic red dot finder scope (battery included)
  • 3x Barlow lens
  • Aluminium tripod
  • Altitude slow-motion adjustment bar

Archived