NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

'Goto' or 'Staywith'?

I was actually on the point of ordering the Celestron CG-5 GT GOTO this afternoon (an upgrade from my manual EQ3-2), but I'd asked Steve (at FLO) for comments about the mount's usefulness for long exposures. I said I wanted to be able to do 15-min exposures. But Steve said no - I'd probably get 30-sec exposures, but not 15 mins.

I've obviously misunderstood what 'goto' means. I really thought that, with precise polar alignment, the motors would not only 'goto' the stellar object of my desire, but also 'staywith' it while I viewed or took pics! Seems I was wrong!

I'd regard a 'staywith' ability as far more important than 'goto'. 'Goto' only seems to save a few minutes of observing time. 'Staywith', however, would significantly improve the versatility of my telescope, enhancing my viewing pleasure and my astrophotography experience.

What would be the technical term for a mount with a 'staywith' function? Does such equipment even exist?

The best way is to have your scope computer controlled via a guidescope. 'GOTO' mounts, like the EQ6, have better motors than their non GOTO counterparts and so respond better to guiding.

The mount on its own cannot do this, it needs help. The more expensive the mount the better it gets and some astrophotographers are quite good at unguided exposures.

the equiptment does exist but it depends whats going to be placed on it

i found on the eq2 with motors it stayed with a subject on a small scope (102st) for around 5 minuits maybe 10 the eq3-2 stayed in the eyepeice for about 15 mins (synscan model) but for the megrez i maneged to get longer. the kson i have i had about an hour in the center with the megrez and a 25mm eyepeice (these times are for viewing not imagering)

another possiable for imagering is guiding (but it is a faf for just viewing) from what i understand it can keep an object in the center providing its done properly indeffenatly (or untill it sets)

you could probaally get about 1 to 2 mins with the dslr mounted directly but thats it before the PE kicked in

Yup, autoguiding is a must for long exposures (over 2 minutes = long!) - GoTo is just an indication of a reasonably accurate drive system but absolutely no guarantee of accurate tracking I'm afraid and FLO's advice is honest and correct.

Thanks for the replies. That's £525 saved! I do wish I lived near an astronomy club - I could than have found out all these things by looking at other people's setups and asking questions while I did so.

I think I'll just have to go a bit slower with the AP, and try to restrict myself to what I can do with my existing kit, instead of lusting after ever-more-expensive bits & pieces.

My scope keeps things in view for a lot longer than I ever expected but with it being an AZ mount long exposure is out, pity really cuz it keeps planets in view for about 30 mins or maybe more. Strangely it never did when it was just an auto tracking dob, the handset upgrade has transformed it. I thought as you did that the tracking on a goto EQ mount would have tracked much better than 30 secs.

what about the duel motors for the 3-2 or upgrade it to a goto, peter uses his for AP and gets nice results. i was toying with the idea of getting a duel mount bar, one side dslr other a st80 so i can view the object and if i ever feel the need to (with the goto upgrade it can also autoguide)

Hi,

If your reasonably happy with the mount other than the tracking then do the mods to the handset (shoestring astronomy sell the kits) get an st80 or equivalent and a webcam or guidecam, should cost half of the £500 and Ive been assured results are very good, I was about to do this mod myself but my misses has now accepted that I want an NEQ6.

Kev.

Archived