Magnification for messier objects

Hi,

what is the best magnification to view messier like m51 at for example.

have an 150p SW 750 - F5 comes with 10mm and 25mm and 2x barlow. Also now have a 6mm.

have been struggling to see anything other than plaides and nebular in orion, even could not get andromeda and tried for m51 the other night.

I am not obsessed with the X factor just want to know what the best viewing would be at for the DSO 20mm,32mm,35mm eyepieces. Planning on a 1.5 barlow also as the 6mm is too much for the 2x barlow but nice on its own.

Cheers

Johnny

The open clusters and galaxies come off best in a low power view, so your 32mm will be best. Planetary nebulae usually need a fairly high magnification as they can be almost star like in low power. What I always do is to start in a low power and work my way up the magnifications. Bright nebulae such as M42 can withstand a reasonably high magnification which can give a better contrast than a low magnification.

You need to switch the calculator to visual view - it's default is photographic. Even then it's rather optimistic I feel - unless you view from the top of a mountain in Hawaii that is !

What we see in reality is determined very much by how much light pollution / moonlight there is in the sky and other factors such as high level ice crystals etc. On a good night the view can be wonderful but the the same equipment, if the conditions are poor, then it can be very disappointing.

still not seeing anything like when in visual mode not even 50% like....

If there is any light pollution around or the moon is in the sky you can see practically nothing of even the brighter deep sky objects and yet, under a really dark sky, they sprawl across the eyepiece. Little or no colour though, even then.

The Andromeda Galaxy is a very large object - at least 6x as wide as the full moon. Trouble is (and this shows where the simulator is inaccurate) most of the time we can only see the central core of the galaxy, which is smaller and less spectacular than the simulator view.

Personally, I find the best views of the Andromeda galaxy are to be had with large binoculars.

I've just used the calculator , my scope and eyepiece are not on it but I entered ones that are similiar, I have a tal 150p with baader zoom and I put in skyliner 150 with hyperion eyepieces and the views were nothing like I got on saturday.

according to this program the planets are tiny dots, but I saw jupiter and all visable mooons as well as saturn and its rings.

On m42 my image was nothing like what this shows although I was very happy with the image.

In fact I think my naked eye visual was better than this was showing on the planets.

Archived