Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

andromeda galaxy

coventry

You're going to struggle at the moment, to be honest. It's fairly low in the sky by the time the sun has set. If you still want to try, the best thing to do is probably to download a copy of Stellarium or a similar planetarium application and get it to show you what's around M31 that you think you can find and work your way there from.

James

If you can wait a few months, until the Big W Cassiopeia which is opposite the plough is where the plough is now, then M31 is easy to find, and in fact, from a dark sky can be seen with the naked eye.

It's not a good time of the year to view M31 as Andromeda is low in the Northwest / North.

Andromeda's principle stars form a line from the square of Pegasus. One of these (Mirach) is your best starting point. Draw a line from Mirach to Mu Andromedae and continue in the same direction for the same distance. You should encointer a large fuzzy elliptical blob. That is the galactic core. You may also be able to see one or both companions. M32 is the brighter of these.

Andromeda is at its best between August and January.

Good luck!

It's not a good time of the year to view M31 as Andromeda is low in the Northwest / North.

Andromeda's principle stars form a line from the square of Pegasus. One of these (Mirach) is your best starting point. Draw a line from Mirach to Mu Andromedae and continue in the same direction for the same distance. You should encointer a large fuzzy elliptical blob. That is the galactic core. You may also be able to see one or both companions. M32 is the brighter of these.

Andromeda is at its best between August and January.

Good luck!

thankyou very much. ill save this comment and look again around october time. ;)

Depends what time you are out.

If you are out beyond 11pm, M13 the globular cluster in Hercules starts to rise quite sharply.

M44, the Beehive cluster in Cancer is quite bright although perhaps diffcult to find in an urban sky.

If you have maps and you know the Dipper, you may be able to find a pair of galaxies - M81 and M82. The first is not far from face on, the second is side on.

Happy hunting!

Try this page for details of its location

Comet C/2009 P1 Garradd

Actually, should be pretty easy to find right now, the last two stars in the plough are pointing right at it!

cheers tim. ive got my telescope outside at the moment so im going to have a go at seeing it in a minute. will i know ive found it when i see it? (does it have a little trail after it).

Depends what time you are out.

If you are out beyond 11pm, M13 the globular cluster in Hercules starts to rise quite sharply.

M44, the Beehive cluster in Cancer is quite bright although perhaps diffcult to find in an urban sky.

If you have maps and you know the Dipper, you may be able to find a pair of galaxies - M81 and M82. The first is not far from face on, the second is side on.

Happy hunting!

il most likely have a go at these in a few days if the clouds stay away. only seen saturn for the first time yesterday which was an experience! thankyou ;)

cheers tim. ive got my telescope outside at the moment so im going to have a go at seeing it in a minute. will i know ive found it when i see it? (does it have a little trail after it).

Well, i've not seen it for a few months, but it looks like a fuzzy blob. You get used to looking for fuzzy blobs ;)

M81 and M82 are very close nearby too, so keep an eye out for those. (also fuzzy blobs!)

Well, i've not seen it for a few months, but it looks like a fuzzy blob. You get used to looking for fuzzy blobs ;)

M81 and M82 are very close nearby too, so keep an eye out for those. (also fuzzy blobs!)

I saw M81 and M82 a week or so ago for the first time, and was very impressed, two galaxies in the same FOV is great, even if they are just fuzzy blobs!

saw these for the first time last night - absolutely brilliant ;)

Archived