Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with a widefield processing in PS please

Hiya

Got a WF last week, stacked it in DSS. Result is grey and a bit fuzzy. I have looked at the tutorials in PS but still am unsure on how to do it. I can't work out how to upload it here, it's a Tiff and is 225Mb in size!

Anyone got any ideas please? Thanks

To upload it here you will need to resize it to a smaller resolution, 1024x768 is a normal size image and then you will need to save it as a jpeg.

Image > Image size then change the width to 1024 pixels > hit OK.

Save as > choose a file name > click on format dropdown box and select jpeg.

It should then let you upload it here.

Really? Thanks Ian. Though I think Ive uploaded the wrong one, it was supposed to be the DSS stacked unprocessed one thats looks all grey etc.

edit - I dont understand this. I uploaded the corect image but the image on flickr seems to be slightly darker and have more glow, whereas what I'm trying to upload is alot greyer. Bizarre.

ahsa! I have upladed only one layer, I forgot to merge down. Lets try this again!

My images always come out over saturated in DSS as well. I usually have to move the histogram to a lower place on the luminance curve to bring out some details.

Drag the arrows in the RGB tab to do this. It's also possible to move things around on the luminance tab and effect the curve to produce better definition. I tend to do this and then save the image for further work in PS or similar.

As mentioned in several earlier posts about DSS's processing capabilities, the author of the program ( Luc ) says himself, that the program is NOT meant to be a photo processing program. Processing results should be imbedded, but NOT implemented in the output data. That should be imported to a program especially written for the purpose of processing, such as PhotoShop or its equivalents.

As for the many popular photo-sharing sites on the internet, most of them alter the results of the pictures which are uploaded to them. They do this for a couple of reasons. One, they handle so many photos that they compress the data to be able to store as many as they possibly can, and to allow for faster downloads to the computers making the requests for the data. Two, these sites are designed primarily for terrestrial photos ( friends, family, scenery, etc. ) and are probably using algorithms that favor those types.

If you want to share photos with others, I might suggest you try out "DropBox", a program that stores sharable files with no alteration that I am aware of. Many of the guys and gals on this forum use it to great success. It is freely available on the web, and quite easy to learn and use.

Jim S.

Archived