Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pier tube placement in foundation hole

oly2b

Having now got a 2' x 3' x 3' deep hole in my back garden and my neigbour given me a length of 225mm I.D. plastic ultrarib pipe I have couple of questions about where the tube should go in the hole:-

• flush with the bottom of the hole;
  • raise above the bottom of the hole (concrete underneath)
  • or somewhere near to top of the hole?

You will need concrete below the tube to make a link between the concrete "outside" the tube and "inside" it. It may be a good idea to cut a few holes in the side of the tube below ground level to help anchor the tube by allowing concrete to pass through the tube walls. Don't forget that you reaqlly ought to pour all your concrete in one "go" - joints between different concrete mixes are seldom secure. It's very heavy work so it may be an idea to hire a mixer for a day.

Thanks for the replies, I though it may be like posts (down to the bottom).

I have a electric mixer and my neighbour is a builder and he got electric and a petrol Belle mixer if my brakes down.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

I supported my plastic tubing on two bricks to allow for the rebar to be placed up the tube and then marry up with the concrete in the hole itself. I also placed rebar supports through the tubing as well as flexible corrugated piping fro the top of the pier (side of the top) and then though the bottom for future power/cable running. Don't forget to rebar the base of the pier as this stops concrete from cracking or other wise breaking during setting and later when your pier is being used with a heavy scope. Good luck mate and post some photo's when you get done.

Nearly ready to concrete, waiting for two plates to mount my adaptor plate onto. The hole ended up at 1m deep and will need 0.75sqm of concrete. I have rebar and mesh to go in the hole and tube. The tube is 225mm ID brown plastic with ribbed external diameter, should grip in the concrete.

Easter next week hope to have it completed.

Archived