Facebook links?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never seen any but that's not to say there aren't any floating about :)

Just got back into the internet world properly and back to facebook, but sad to find no continuation from SGL as ive looked... do you know of any interesting astronomy sites on facebook?

Facebook is for social networking surely? SGL is a niche forum dedicated to the learning and promotion of astronomy. I can't see why anyone in their right mind would want such a bizarre link. But then it's just my opinion :)

Facebook is for social networking surely? SGL is a niche forum dedicated to the learning and promotion of astronomy. I can't see why anyone in their right mind would want such a bizarre link. But then it's just my opinion :)

Facebook, yes is a social network, but also offers interesting areas for various things.

Funnily enough there is a FB group for people on SGL who live in the Witney/Oxon area. There aren't many menbers yet because it's only a few days old. But for people in the West Oxfordshire area there is somewhere informal to natter about astro stuff and other things, and also we are hoping to be able to bung a quick message out where there's a break in the clouds and we can all meet up and get out to gaze.

Whether we are in our right minds or not is hard to say :)

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/groups/295283443875515/

Facebook, yes is a social network, but also offers interesting areas for various things.

it most certainly does. My governing body The Institute of Biomedical Science is on there. And the Health Professions Council have a page on there. And the NHS have various pages on there. (all related to my profession).

The entire world is on FB these days. It reaches god knows how many people worldwide, and if we want to promote and encourage the learning of astronomy to new people then we'd be missing a massive trick to not be on FB in one form or another.

Sandra - that's exactly why I lie fbook - not much deep stuff, more chatty ...

Exactly, there is nothing wrong is chatty stuff - we are social creatures afterall.

Astronomy and science in general should not be thought of as niche and possibly elite. This is not the 17/18th century anymore where only the very rich and elite got the chance to study and work in the sciences. Science in general should be open to all, in whatever medium people want it in. This is the very thing I did my MSc in, Science Communication, and in what medium people want their science in.

FB has an awful lot of rubbish on it and an awful of morons for sure, but equally it can be used in a really positive way. I am all for communication and enjoying science in various media.

We gotta get wid da kidz! :)

Just to add - Because I post about astro things of FB - no less than 3 friends have gone out and bought scopes and have gotten their kids and themselves into star gazing. They saw my (very amatuer) pics, liked them and want to try it themselves.

I can well understand local people organising a local meet on facebook - I used to do that with my chums for pub'ing at the w/e. But just because the entire world is on it doesn't necessarily make it good - conversely I think it's a pain.

It's unweildy, slow, and littered with adverts, offers, apps, pointless notifications, ridiculous updates, and invites from thousands of folks who want to be your "friend" but you'd never actually meet. As for "work related" stuff - that's the last thing I wanna see when I'm home relaxing lol.

Honestly - I'm not interested in any of that nonesense when I'm chatting about astronomy with folks - so a link from SGL imho would be irrational. SGL has a "groups" facility for locals to get together, and I do get to meet folks from SGL at star parties and astro events - made some good frends that way too - real ones lol :)

(But it's all just my opinion and I won't take offence if you ignore my comments) :)

Exactly, there is nothing wrong is chatty stuff - we are social creatures afterall.

Astronomy and science in general should not be thought of as niche and possibly elite. This is not the 17/18th century anymore where only the very rich and elite got the chance to study and work in the sciences. Science in general should be open to all, in whatever medium people want it in. This is the very thing I did my MSc in, Science Communication, and in what medium people want their science in.

FB has an awful lot of rubbish on it and an awful of morons for sure, but equally it can be used in a really positive way. I am all for communication and enjoying science in various media.

We gotta get wid da kidz! :)

Just to add - Because I post about astro things of FB - no less than 3 friends have gone out and bought scopes and have gotten their kids and themselves into star gazing. They saw my (very amatuer) pics, liked them and want to try it themselves.

Hi Sanmatt.....

Thanks for your reply here... EXACTLY..... facebook reachs to all people around the world in various ways through various fields of interest... I spend most of my time on there reading most things astronomical via NASA sites, astrophotography sites & reading simular articles... so it's a good place to be & share stories & photo's too... Good on you & your pictures as they have encouraged a few friends of yours to go out and buy themselves scopes :) :)

I can well understand local people organising a local meet on facebook - I used to do that with my chums for pub'ing at the w/e. But just because the entire world is on it doesn't necessarily make it good - conversely I think it's a pain.

It's unweildy, slow, and littered with adverts, offers, apps, pointless notifications, ridiculous updates, and invites from thousands of folks who want to be your "friend" but you'd never actually meet. As for "work related" stuff - that's the last thing I wanna see when I'm home relaxing lol.

Honestly - I'm not interested in any of that nonesense when I'm chatting about astronomy with folks - so a link from SGL imho would be irrational. SGL has a "groups" facility for locals to get together, and I do get to meet folks from SGL at star parties and astro events - made some good frends that way too - real ones lol :)

(But it's all just my opinion and I won't take offence if you ignore my comments) :)

Im interested in many areas of astronomy even the nonesense facebook has to offer astronomically..... would appriciate it most if you don't apply your words to my threads in future!

Hi Sanmatt.....

Thanks for your reply here... EXACTLY..... facebook reachs to all people around the world in various ways through various fields of interest... I spend most of my time on there reading most things astronomical via NASA sites, astrophotography sites & reading simular articles... so it's a good place to be & share stories & photo's too... Good on you & your pictures as they have encouraged a few friends of yours to go out and buy themselves scopes :) :)

cheers. :)

Sadly, they werent able to buy clear skies, so now moan at me because they cant get outside with them! And I have steered them this way so they can learn. Same last night really, I was one of the volunteers at a star gazing event (not that we got to gaze at any thing!) and I steered people to here. Same today, I was a volunteer up at The Big Bang Fair. and again I steered people here.

cheers. :)

Sadly, they werent able to buy clear skies, so now moan at me because they cant get outside with them! And I have steered them this way so they can learn. Same last night really, I was one of the volunteers at a star gazing event (not that we got to gaze at any thing!) and I steered people to here. Same today, I was a volunteer up at The Big Bang Fair. and again I steered people here.

Clear skies are hard to find & would cost a fortune to buy... :) Steering your friends here will further encourage them & will learn alot whilst waiting for better skies... wow you manage to volunteer at some fantastic events lucky you!!! I would wish to do that...

The weather is not looking good for the SGL7 event either..... :)

Archived