Swap skywatcher Mak 127 for skywatcher 200p?

Hi People!

I am presenting a question to the experts on here to see what you think!

I have an auto goto mak 127. I'm not getting on with the auto goto and, quite frankly, I'm sick of mucking about with it. I feel I should be observing and not spending time tinkering with that!

I also feel if I sneeze near the mount it will fall over!

I have been offered a part exchange and to pay the difference to upgrade to a 200p with an EQ5 mount. I feel, in my non existent experience, that it feels sturdier and I can just get on and observe with it.

Anyone think I'm insane?

Cheers

Carl

Would depend on how much extra they want you to pay?

I had a cel 114 nexstar gt and I know exactly what you mean. Too logn trying to get it to align and then it fails and when it does say succsessfull its nowhere near where you aim it.

I know have a 127 mak and I got it on a eq mount and I realy enjoy going out again as I'm set up in minutes and can make the most of my time when out.

Maybe an option is to sell the goto mount and get a 3-2 off fleabay. Will prob be about the same price 2nd hand.

Then again I am also hoping to have a 200p 1 day so would be in a dilema there as would idealy like both.

Go for the 200.

you could do it that way or you flog the mak and get a 200p dob. I reckon with the prices on ebay at the moment you could probably sell the mak for 300. so someone gets a nearly new scope with a big discount and you have enough cash to buy a new dob everybody wins.

you could do it that way or you flog the mak and get a 200p dob. I reckon with the prices on ebay at the moment you could probably sell the mak for 300. so someone gets a nearly new scope with a big discount and you have enough cash to buy a new dob everybody wins.

I think this is probably the way I would go. I started with a Newt on an EQ and it was very good but the eyepiece can end up in some uncomfortable places. I bought a dob for visual observing and find it is loads better.

If you like tripod mounted scopes a 200P on an EQ5 is a very worthwhile step up from a Mak127.

Archived