NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which 2 inch?

gooseholla

Hi guys and gals

Getting ready for summer nights and views of the milky way etc... Which brand of 2 inch eyepiece should I get for a Celestron C8 (f/5) for under £60 each? Or should I just get a hyperion and use the 2 inch capability? And what would be the ideal size - 26mm, or 40 + ?

Thanks

I reckon a 2" 30mm is a good FL for an F/5 scope - gives a usable exit pupil of 6mm.

Getting a good one for an F/5 scope for < £60 could be a challenge. You should get a used Panaview 32mm for that if one ever comes up.

Opticstar do a 2" wide angle range which has a 32mm bang on your budget:

Ascension Super Wide Angle Eyepieces.

It's a little longer focal length but Skies the Limit do a 2" 70 degree 36mm eyepiece for just £46. Might be worth a try under their "return if you don't like it" policy:

2" Eyepieces

GSO/Revelation/Adler/Rigel/Ascension 2inch fitting..26mm or 32mm at £50 - £60

If it was me... I would save for the panaview or 30mm skywatcher aero...or as John said..try skies the limit

I was looking at the two off of Skys the limit, but also considered the GSO ones. However, their ones in the c.40 and 50mm focal length would be pretty useless - or should I say, hard to use?

What about the hyperion idea? Or just stick with dedicated 2 inchers?

The Hyperions are 1.25" eyepieces. Without the lower lens assembly (which the 24mm does not have anyway) they become rather badly corrected 22mm eyepieces so I'm not sure that will help you much.

40mm and 50mm 2" eyepieces are not a good plan in an F/5 scope as the exit pupil they produce is larger than most peoples fully dilated pupil so not all the light gets into your eye.

Another option would be to stick with your 32mm GSO plossl. It's going to show you a fair amount of sky and it's a good eyepiece.

Why not bide your time and save up for something like a Skywatcher Aero 30mm, which is supposed to be a TMB Paragon clone. I have the 40mm original which is great (certainly down to F/6). The 30mm is supposed to be very good indeed, and it is very comfortable to use. They are also sold as TS Paragons. There is a review on an F/4.7 scope here:

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-eyepieces/168716-first-light-skywatcher-aero-30mm-ed-ep.html

Archived