Am I just daft?

Strange isn't it? I would guess that the human eye has an ability to focus in on a subject - a bit like a zoom lens - but as soon as you look through the scope you seem to loose that ability and just see what is presented to you. I am sure someone will come up with a better explanation and if so I look forward to reading it!!

Something is wrong then.

10mm on a 130P is 65x, on a 130 is 90x, both should show Jupiter decently.

Collimation is the main thought, as in the eyepiece, secondary and main are out of alignment so what you see is a mess.

If you have an old 35mm film container have a search for collimation cap and see what it says. Alternatively try:

Astro Babys Guide to Collimation

She covers a collimation cab - the improvised 35mm film container. It is a relatively easy way to check collimation and possibly improve it. Never tried I have refractors.:)

If you had the barlow in then take it out, and put it somewhere you will not find it again.

im using the 130 Skywatcher and i get Venus as a half crescent moon with a blushing tinge. and Mars i get a Orange ball ( if il looked at it longer ill probably get some detail....

Hi Ya Vincent - I've only just sold my motorbike, only got my push bike now, but if your still not having any luck I'll pop over - Ive got a similar sized scope to you, the 127mm Celestron Maksutov - using the 8mm seem to get decent views with it.

May be just a focusing problem - not used the scope you have - but roughly the same - have you tried focusing in the daytime on a distant tree or an object about a mile or so away the focusing takes a little to get used to but it should come to focus.

When focusing on Jupiter, try looking at the edge of the disc when focusing - it should be fairly sharp (if your looking at the planet when its low down and close to the horizon, due to the atmosphere, you wont get a sharp image - It'll be fuzzy and shakey) - but remember when focusing on star fields - they are much farther away, so adjust either in or out - stars should be the smallest points of light when in focus.

Just let me know if your still not happy and I'll pop over on pedal power.

Take Care Vincent and don't worry mate, just a little tinkering needed. Paul.

I've got a cheshire collimater to check the optics if needed, just send me a private message with your address and we can take it from there if you like. Paul

Archived