Issues with eyepieces

The BST Explorers and TMB Planetary clones can be bought here:

1.25" Eyepieces

The planetaries are being called wide angle planetaries on there now. Both types have more eye relief than the Vixen NPL's which means that your eye won't need to be so close to the top lens of the eyepiece, especially on the shorter focal length models.

Optically I think they will all be pretty close - I've been a great fan of the Vixen brand through all my years in the hobby so I'd probably go for the Vixen NPL's but then I don't wear glasses when observing.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rob, after all that has been said, eye guards in winged or standard in soft rubber are available from Telescope House at between £3 and £5 each I think, last time I looked, probably a cheaper experiment than investing in new eps for the time being :)

John.

Which basically means that you SHOULD wear them for reading,watching tv,observing etc.

That's not true unless you're strongly myopic. I'm only mildly shortsighted and though I wear glasses to drive, it's too uncomfortable wearing them for reading, using a computer and observing. I can read perfectly (crystal clear) without them, it's only after about a meter out that it starts to blur slightly!

The only issue I have observing is that my eyes are slightly different, so if I switch I need to slightly refocus.

<quote>I think it was Sir Patrick Moore who likened eyepieces to gears in a car. The car is not much use with 1 gear, 2-3 gears are somewhat more useful and 4 or 5 will get you more or less anywhere.</quote>

Is having a zoom ep like having an automatic gearbox? ;-)

Archived