NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

So many questions help please

Hello all I'm out right now using my first scope for only second time help I found mars why is it not red?.? I have a sky watcher 200pds and I'm using a 15 mm ep mars did look very small.

Also I have it all set up on my wood decking do you think this could be reason it seens to wobble so much :)

That sound like a great tip thanks

I have just seen Saturn amazing wow so pleased it looked small but I could see the rings clear. I don't have "go to" decided not to get it to force myself to learn where things are was this the right call.

I don't have "go to" decided not to get it to force myself to learn where things are was this the right call.

That will depend on you.

Having it means longer set up times but once set up things will (should) be easier.

Not having it means quicker set up but after that finding stuff will take longer.

There are many arguments for and against this, and no dead set answers. It's simply up to the individual.

The important thing is you enjoy your observing however you do it.

Good luck and enjoy yourself under the night sky.

Regards Steve

For someone new getting into the hobbie, the go-to systems are far to complexed to figure out as well as retaining all the other important information to at least get some enjoyment out of the first few sessions. I didn't get a go-to for that reason as well, although im sure I could use one now. Im still enjoying picking it up and looking at whatever takes my fancy :) 2 hour sessions can be long enough for UK skies.. Glad your having fun Laaj19!

If you like to view from the comfort of your decking you could cut a hole in it and sink a concrete pier/pad to mount your scope on, if that is not going to be too much of a disaster. As far as GOTO is concerned I much prefer to star hop and now have the mount which I have always wanted, a Losmandy, which I have nicknamed my shove to, you just point at your target and adjust on the keypad, it has continuous tracking, no matter what part of the sky you point it at, you can`t do this with a GOTO because if you physically move the scope you break the chain of command and have to set the whole thing up again :)

Archived