Dew Heater or Dew Shield? Help Please

I have a Sky-Watcher Skymax 127 SupaTrak. Reading some of your comments, the Astrozap Flexi-Heat Dew Shield seems to be well recommended.

Do I need the heater shield or would the dew shield suffice. I have read some of the magnificient heated efforts people have made themselves, unfortunately well beyond my capabilities. Are there any other makes recommended and where can I buy these?. The shield would have to have a notch to fit around the dovetail between the 127 and SupaTrak. I'm new to Astronomy and on a limited budget so would desciribe myself as an enthusiastic Novice. No doubt I'll be posing more questions soon.

The cheapest dew shields are easy to make from a £3 matt black camping mat and some gaffer tape. You can cut your own shape and length with a stanley knife. This will keep light dew off the optics - for heavier dew you'll need a dew band and controller. Check out FLO's offerings - you'll get great service and good prices there :)

yes mate you will need a dew shield at the least. if your budget allows get a heater band as well, try flo at the top of the page to give you an idea. as an alternative quite a few use foam that you lie on with a sleeping bag available from out door pursuit type shops

you will definitely need a dew sheild, i have the astrozap one and its a must, i do find it doubles the time you would usually get, maybe more, i never got any heater straps yet, i think it all depends on how long you want to stay out for, a sheild may be all you need, you can make one out of the camping matts, just cut to suit, fold it and duck tape the over lap, thats what i did with my old scope and it worked a treat,

thats my advice,

good luck

Hi,i have got a C11 scope & a dew heater strap is a must.

The dew shield is not enough.I power mine through a mains

adaptor.The sky watcher power tank does not last long.

It does not take long to for the glass to mist up.But it

takes a bit of time to clear it.

Steve

Archived