Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PHD and LX200

johnb

My astro club has a 16 inch wedge mounted. I plan to use it for imaging so will use my trusty ST80 and QHY5 with PHD. Are there any good phd settings to start with for guiding.

Regards

John b

The f10 ratio is very "slow" and requires lengthly exposures compared with a "fast" system ie the f5 of the ST80.

Fitting a x0.63 reducer to the Lx will improve things a little and also give a wider field of view.

Check out the freeware CCDCalc - this will clearly show you various DSO objects as they will appear in your camera.

lengthly exposures
i see so with my Skywatcher 250 i was typically doing 300 sec exposures I guess by default the with the LX200 they will increase somewhat unless I get the reducer

Your help is appreciated.

John B

How is the guide camera connected? If you use the QHY5 direct connect to the CCD port the signals should be OK.

If you use the QHY to the PC then a serial to the mount it needs to be LX200 protocol....

Again, is PHD completion the calibration stage???

No PHD is not calibrating.

I have the lead from the QHY 5 going to the AutoGuider port on the LX200 and then from the QHY5 via USB for the PHD.

PHD sees a good star and PHD Mount is set to On Camera

Thanks for the help

John B

• 3 weeks later...

We have the same telescope in my astronomy club and i got it up and running with guiding.

We are using the RS232 port and it works without problems except the connection in the port is a little bad so i have to unplug-plug the connector sometimes.

We're using Ascom with LX200Classic/POTH Handset to connect to the scope.

With this we can connect to the scope from several programs at the same time.

Guidecam is the same as you have, QHY5.

Cameras we have tried are 5D MKII and 450D, there's a little vignetting on the 5D MKII because of the 1.5" restriction in the visual back of the LX200.

I guess we will get the same problem with a focal reducer on the 450D when i get around to test it.

For imaging from the computer we use BackyardEOS.

There's 3 unmodified pictures from this setup here: Gjøvik og Toten Astronomiske Forening

The stars aren't perfectly round so i'm guessing mirror flop and/or guidescope mount flexure is the cause.

If you get your setup up and running i'd like to compare results and settings in PHD.

Ole Alexander

Archived