NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSO - Galaxies and Nebula

It varies tremendously. The Orion Nebula and the Andromeda Galaxy can be seen with the naked eye on a decent night. The Crab needs around 70mm - 80mm aperture but is much tougher in light polluted skies. Some other nebulae and galaxies can be seen with binoculars while some need 10" or more aperture to even see as a faint patch under really dark skies.

Dark skies make things much easier and the views of all DSO's much better but you should be able to see the brighter ones with your scope.

what John said. your scope is very capable and will allow you to 'observe' lots of things but a dark sky will transform the view. all the things you mention will be doable on decent nights. the orion nebula is almost always visible (at the right time of year of course!)

Your scope should be OK for all oddly with the exception of Andromeda, people will disagree.

Andromeda is large and dim, 3 degrees I think, your scope would need a 4 degree field to get it all in, with a bit to spare, and you would have to be aimed at the centre.

So if a 200P at f/6 that is 1200mm focal length with something like a 60 degree eyepiece that means 15x so an 80mm eyepiece. Not realistic.

Most end up seeing just the central core, a sort of faint fuzzy blob. Mainly disappointing.

The best way to see Andromeda, no real detail of course, is through a set of binoculars. They have the field of view to get it all in.

After that it is a case of low magnification to locate the others then higher magnification to get any detail that might be there.

Hi Astro-Nova Im also from Wolves and we are trying to set up a monthly meet out at

dark site the other side of the M54

I will deffo keep an eye on that! I subscripted me on the wolves and black country group thing, so when Iam able to I will join for sure!!

Thank you all for the helpful advise :) All noted (literally)

Archived