Kielder observatory...

Hi Ella, I've been to Kielder Water and it is a deserted place, miles from anywhere. Which is why it stands out as one of the places in the UK with low LP.

They're very visitor orientated so I would suggest going on-line and pinging them the question. You have nothing to lose posing a direct question.

Try this; Visit Kielder Water & Forest Park | Homepage

Cheers, N.

Hi Ella, I've been to Kielder Water and it is a deserted place, miles from anywhere. Which is why it stands out as one of the places in the UK with low LP.

They're very visitor orientated so I would suggest going on-line and pinging them the question. You have nothing to lose posing a direct question.

Try this; Visit Kielder Water & Forest Park | Homepage

Cheers, N.

Thanks for your reply & link... I thought it would be a problem to get to via public transport... all these great astronomical places to visit are not possible for me to visit it seems... :)

There does seem to be a bus service of sorts (See this B&B Twenty Seven B&B and Self Catering Cottage - Bed & Breakfast in Kielder, Kielder - Visit Kielder and scroll down the page . There look to be 3 options there . Ring the B and B and have a chat.

Have a look at the Kielder YHA site here Youth Hostel, Kielder - Travel Information - YHA . More info on public service travel there. Its a few years since I was at a Kielder Star Party but its a great village . We camped and we ate at the Dukes Pantry & the Anglers Arms in the evening . Hope you make it up there , its worth it.

We are trying to arrange a roadshow at our accommodation and the guy from Keilder is willing to come over to Byrness but it would work out at £40 per person for 2 hours if he gives his talk with portable telescopes here,as opposed to £10 to go to an event in the observatory. We are still trying to get the price down but negotiations are not going to well. I can see the problem of Keilder for people without a car it is always swings and roundabouts. Keilder plus side cheap event, better scopes, downside not easy to get to. Byrness downside expensive event, portable scopes, plus side National express bus drops you 200 yds from our door and there is shed loads of pitch dark Parish (common ) land to view from. If I can get them to move on the price I reckon we can attract the carless public here. We are only 12 miles from Keilder village but our public transport is loads better we have direct links to Newcastle and beyond.

Actually im going up to Kielder Observatory next week via Public transports Train to Hexham From Newcastle (45mins) Bus from Hexham to Kielder Camp Site (1hour)

Thats a lot of changes especially if there is one before Newcastle. The National express runs Hull-Leeds-York-Middlesborough-Sunderland-Newcastle-Byrness-Edinburgh-Glasgow. Also obviously in reverse giving a huge amount of potential stargazers access to our lovely sky without loads of connections and changes, 1 coach 1 fare no changes. Suitcase on at one end off 200 yds from our door.

Just had a look on National Express on 5 quid to get there from Sunderland. Think ill pop up in couple weeks :) see if a can get any Decent View in Byrness.

I visited the site a couple of years ago whilst on holiday...

Its quite a slog up the hill to the observatory....and when we went it was wet an very MUDDY!...so worth wearing wellies or boots of some kind..

Hexham- Kielder bus service is a big hit

Posted by The Journal on Aug 4, 09 11:46 AM in News

hexhamkielderoadsign.jpgA new bus service linking travellers to one of Northumberland's biggest natural attractions has been voted a big hit by both visitors and residents.

Running every Tuesday, Friday and Saturday all year round, the Snaiths Travel 880 route features two buses from Hexham to Kielder Castle and two return services each day.

Between Tower Knowe visitor centre and Kielder Castle, the service runs on a hail and ride basis. For those travelling from further afield, it offers a direct link from the Newcastle to Carlisle 685 service and the Tyne Valley rail line at Hexham Station.

The fully accessible bus is also equipped to carry up to three bicycles, although cyclists advised to book this service in advance on 01830 520 609.

Coun Alan Armstrong, executive member for highways and transport at Northumberland County Council, said the service "promotes a greener, cleaner and more relaxing way" to explore Tyne Valley and the Kielder area.

"It will also provide an important link for our rural residents to settlements such as Bellingham and Hexham, filling a gap in services,'' he added.

One of the service's first passengers was Isabelle Gardner, a resident of Kielder Village, who said: "We think we've died and gone to heaven.

"This is the best service we've ever had up here. I can't believe how good it is to have the privilege of a bus service three days a week. The timings are great too, not too early and not too late.''

The 880 service is being jointly promoted by the county council and the Kielder Partnership. Concessionary bus passes are accepted on all journeys.

For details on this and other bus services in the area, travellers should call Traveline on 0871 200 2223. Those planning a trip to Kielder Water and Forest Park, can visit www.visitkielder.com

Hexham- Kielder bus service is a big hit

Posted by The Journal on Aug 4, 09 11:46 AM in News

hexhamkielderoadsign.jpgA new bus service linking travellers to one of Northumberland's biggest natural attractions has been voted a big hit by both visitors and residents.

Running every Tuesday, Friday and Saturday all year round, the Snaiths Travel 880 route features two buses from Hexham to Kielder Castle and two return services each day.

Between Tower Knowe visitor centre and Kielder Castle, the service runs on a hail and ride basis. For those travelling from further afield, it offers a direct link from the Newcastle to Carlisle 685 service and the Tyne Valley rail line at Hexham Station.

The fully accessible bus is also equipped to carry up to three bicycles, although cyclists advised to book this service in advance on 01830 520 609.

Coun Alan Armstrong, executive member for highways and transport at Northumberland County Council, said the service "promotes a greener, cleaner and more relaxing way" to explore Tyne Valley and the Kielder area.

"It will also provide an important link for our rural residents to settlements such as Bellingham and Hexham, filling a gap in services,'' he added.

One of the service's first passengers was Isabelle Gardner, a resident of Kielder Village, who said: "We think we've died and gone to heaven.

"This is the best service we've ever had up here. I can't believe how good it is to have the privilege of a bus service three days a week. The timings are great too, not too early and not too late.''

The 880 service is being jointly promoted by the county council and the Kielder Partnership. Concessionary bus passes are accepted on all journeys.

For details on this and other bus services in the area, travellers should call Traveline on 0871 200 2223. Those planning a trip to Kielder Water and Forest Park, can visit www.visitkielder.com

WOW thanks for soooo much info here for the kielder observatory awesome of you maaany thanks..... :):icon_salut::)

Archived