Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star Party on Google Earth

Ad Astra

A student told me about this - I didn't believe him until I checked it out. If you go onto Google Earth and look for my school, you will see a little 'photo-box' in the school stadium. When you put your mouse on it, you get "Tahquitz Stadium Under the Stars".

When you click and bring up the photo, it is a shot of my astronomy class setting up for the 2010 Leonid Meteor shower! A few minutes later and we had the parking lot lights and the stadium snack shop lights turned out and the football pitch was very dark. Astroturf is wonderful for setting up small scopes - always dry and clean!

You can find it at 33 deg, 46', 1.2" North, 117 deg, 01', 20.66" West. If you zoom into 'street view' you can see the nice canyon that our football pitch it built in. The canyon walls are 15-20 meters high, and screen us from much of the city lights. :)

Dan

I'd love to host an "SGL-California" outing! If we had enough notice, we could rent the 60-inch scope on Mt. Wilson for the night! [Really!] Start the weekend on the Astroturf at Tahquitz Highschool Football Pitch, then off to the mountains above Pasadena to round off the weekend... You haven't seen anything, until you've seen Saturn through the 60-inch! :)

Dan

Nice!

Perhaps you should invite the whole of SGL to a star party at your place!

Archived