NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

South Facing - What to look out for?

Hello again

I have since my first post doing a bit of research ... I know a bit more about telescopes and the differences between reflectors/refractors, Newtonian and Dobsonian scopes etc. I guess it's a start. I've also got hold of a copy of Astronomy for Dummies from a friend which is proving to be a good read so far and a basic pair of binoculars. I've not had much luck picking out stars however - the amount of cloud and wind the past few days has been awful :wink:

Anyhow, I was just wondering what to look out for from a south facing view (that is, from the skylite window in my loft), Are there any particularly bright or notable objects to focus on?

Thanks again for all your help so far.

South is the best view to have.

At the moment there is Jupiter which is quite low down in the south... It's visible most of the night and if you look south and can't see it - it must be cloudy! :wink:

With Bino's (lean them against the window frame) and you should be able to see the 4 moon and maybe the two main bands.

Cheers

Ant

Stellarium's a nice free one 8)

Fantastic - thanks for that!

Not sure I'll be able to see Jupiter though. As its quite low in the horizon it'll probably be blocked by a rather large building that's in that direction - but maybe not! Today seems to be a vast improvement on the past few weeks. All I see are blue skies here and hopefully tonight will also be clear.

Thanks again.

If you have a southeast view you should be able to see Vega, the brightest star in the constellation Lyra. It's quite high up in the sky, so should clear any obstructions. Just a wee bit east of Vega is the double double of epsilon Lyra. I can easily see that this is a double star in my 10X50's and a suggestion (i.e. the stars are blurry) that each of these stars is also a tight double.

Enjoy, Martin

• 1 month later...

You have a good southern view, you lucky, lucky man! You can spend hours looking at the clusters and nebulae near and above Sagittarius, in one of the richest parts of the sky. You also have the ecliptic in view all year, so if there's a planet there, you can see it. Get a good guide, and observe!

Archived