NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

More CCD camera questions - sorry guys!

Helen

Still researching cameras as the MX7c guy isn't returning my e-mails and the MX716 guy sold his before I got to him...

I've seen this http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Imagers-Opticstar.asp?s=d141d7fb-d5c2-4cb4-b67f-5f091d04384&p=0_10_0_50_200

I'm intrigued :wink: it says its a colour and a black and white camera! Is this the best of both worlds - or the worst of both worlds??

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Helen

Thanks Gaz.

The bits that confused me were: '48-bit colour images 16-bit B&W images' and 'The camera supports binning at 1x1, 2x1 and 2x2. At a 2x2 binning value camera sensitivity quadruples offering a resolution of 1070x780 in monochrome. The user can configure the camera to suit his imaging application by choosing between colour imaging or higher sensitivity monochrome imaging.'

:?

Helen

Hi. Helen,

I am trawling that site myself, trying to make my mind up.

I have been in touch with them regularly. So why dont you mail them. Peter is the chaps name, and he is very helpful indeed.

He will supply you with all the answers you require. Very decent fellow. He is a genuine guy.

Ron.

I'm a bit puzzled too Helen. One feature of the camera is it's tiny pixels. The smaller the pixels the higher the resolution but resolution is also influenced by the seeing. Resolution becomes seeing limited at lower magnifications with smaller pixels. So this camera should perform well with short focal length refractors esp sub 500mm or with a camera lens. It won't perform well above 1000mm f/l except with superb seeing.

If you want really great advice on purchasing a camera try talking to Ian King at www.iankingimaging.com. He is very happy to give advice and is a real authority

Wont the small pixel size show up any tracking/guiding errors much more clearly? That can limit exposure times. You need longer exposures to get more of the dim detail. Multiple short exposures can help, but their main aim is to reduce nosie.

Open to corrections if I am in error :wink:

Anthony

Agreed Ant the better resolution of small pixels at short focal length will show up smaller tracking errors and they are less sensitive. Having said that if you're imaging at sub 500mm a decent mount should be able to give you a minute pretty easily even with diddy pixels especially given the light weight of the kit

Archived