Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi. I have decided to buy a celestron c6 SGT advanced telescope. I am wondering if anyone has used this scope for imaging the planets and had any success? I will be using a SPC 900 and a canon 1100d. What can I expect to image both planets and DSO'S? Many thanks

It's a good planetary scope so you will have no problems with that as for dso's that will be a lot harder. the cg5gt mount is not the best tracking of the eq mounts although the the next one up is probably the heq5 the focal length of that scope is too long for accurate imaging the tracking accuracy isn't up to it 20- 30 sec subs a couple of mins guided maybe. You may get something on the brighter dso's and a focal reducer may help. To attach the camera you need t-rings for your camera and then a t-mount to attach to the rings you should get some product out of it but it won't be up to a greatest standard. still good luck you will have something to show your mates from it so it won't be a waste of time. If you don't have this book get it you will find it very useful for dso photography.

First Light Optics - Making Every Photon Count - Steve Richards

I have the C6 on the CG5 and use it for both planetary and DSO imaging. It does the job extremely well especially when guiding using PHD. I use a Canon 1000d and a Meade DSI for DSO's and have a QHY5 guide camera on a WOZ66 ( dual mounted on the CG5). Tracking accuracy when properly aligned is fine. You can get some fantastic images with this setup.

Many apologies for hijacking this thread, but I am also considering the c6-sgt with cg5 mount, and have read some reviews saying that the drive is very loud - has anyone found this to be a problem themselves?

I've got a C8 SGT and I don't think its overly loud:)

Archived