NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Worth Buying A TeleVue Nagler 2.5mm & Barlow x5?

Never mind Barlowing it, I don't think you'd ever use the 2.5mm on its own in the UK. Atmospheric conditions aren't great here and it's rarely worth going above 250 power, and most people settle at around 200x - beyond this point you're just studying the perturbations in our atmosphere instead of the object. For your scope 250x is achieved with an 8mm eyepiece. The combination you are proposing would be 4000 power!

2.5mm+5X=0.5mm

That wont work.

Forget about anything below 6mm.

Even a 6mm EP in the UK is a once a year deal due to the typical "seeing".

8mm is a good usable EP for planets.

I had my best views ever of Mars last night with my 200mm scope and an 8mm EP. As soon as i put a 2x barlow into the equation it all went pete tong.

Sure Mars was tiny in my FOV but the view was good enough for me to see the polar cap and Syrtis Major region on the surface.

Is there any particular reason why you want the 2.5mm?

A 2.5mm on a C8 is going to give you 813x magnification which is going to be way to high. Adding a 5x barlow will make it 4064x.

The seeing limit in UK is usually around 200x. In exceptionally good night 300x is the limit.

Archived