Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with Canon 400D.

Purchased a 400D just before returning home from the UK, after all, the astro image's you guys&girls get with one are superb.

But upon inspection i noticed that the manual focus ring has what i would think is an excessive amount of up & down movement,as it does affect the focus a little and has only a max f5.6 aperture.

Is this normal in all DSLR's?

When the flash deployed i thought it was going to fly to bits, bounce is the word for that one although tremor may be more adept i can see it one day,a bruised forhead and a bounced flash off the ceiling with a pink cast on the image reflected off my head,best disconnect that one me think.

But apart from that it seems a camera and half.

Thoughts please! yeah yeah i know miserable ole......

Jeff.

And yes, the flash on the 350D is just as alarming!!

And the 300D. :wink:

Most of the imaging with 300 / 350 / 400D's (apart from very wide field) is done at prime focus through a scope - so you'll have taken the lens off for that.

I suspect that as my 300D is getting old now, thatm my std lens and your's is different.

Ant

Hi Jeff, I suspect that like me you have the standard 18-55mm lens kit? While the optical quality of the lens is not superb as a beginner lens I have found it to be remarkably good little performer. In manual focus the focus ring is supposed to move up and down in order to focus but by no more than 5mm. If it is moving more than that then you may have a faulty lens. If it is a Canon kit lens then I recommend contacting them directly. Is this problem happening in AF (autofocus) mode as well or just manual focus?

As for the pop up flash, yes it is a bit of a surprise when in first pops up :shock: However, in Manual mode on the mode dial the flash shouldn't pop up at all. For any astrophotography you'll be using the camera in Manual mode with the image quality set to RAW so the flash won't be an issue. For a good guide to the use of DSLR's for astrophotography check out http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/astromenu.html

Phil

p.s. Digital Rebel is the American product name for the Canon 350/400

Hi all,

Daz,

Its the standard 18-55mm as Phil suggested,Cheers.

Phil,

your right,no it doesn't move that much but its not what one would expect from a Canon (cheap&cheerful).

Ant,

Cheers, as you all said the lens is not important when at prime focus, But value for money?!!

That flash does give a kick though.

Thanks all.

Jeff.

Archived