What that be any good?

welcome to sgl. they are not going to be great they are about the biggest size you can hand hold but the optics are not likely to be great. Take a walk down your charity shops you may be able to pick up some good bins there for not a lot of money. About the £50 mark will get you a decent set of bins new. Don't get zooms.

Avoid those, they are going to be poor. I second having a look at binocular sky's buying guide.

Anything with a red or yellow coating should be avoided. Lens coating should be deep blue or purple and barely visible.

If you are on a really tight budget, have a look at these

Stargazers 10x50 Binoculars Starter Pack

Bresser Hunter 8x40 Porro Prism Binoculars

Those Celestrons are Bk7's whereas the 7 day shop was a Bak-4 (didn't think much of either of them or any of the others...).

The advice to scout around a charity shop was sound. Try to find a decent 10x50 (as per the advice on the web site mentioned earlier).

Alternatively, save up for a binocular in the £50-£60 range?

Whatever you do, don't rush in. Do the research, ask questions, make a proper, considered decision.

iv just bought a pair and if u look in the binocular section you will see i posted lots of questions :) its always best not to rush, because the cheap ones will most likely be out of collimation as well and its not easy to put right.

i second the charity shop idea (although i looked in every single one i could find in newport and nothing but you never know)

other wise keep posting questions how ever silly or anything and i 100% recommend looking at binocular sky it is very useful!

a scope may be for a few months till you want to upgrade but a bino is for life!!

Those Celestrons are Bk7's whereas the 7 day shop was a Bak-4 (didn't think much of either of them or any of the others...).

The advice to scout around a charity shop was sound. Try to find a decent 10x50 (as per the advice on the web site mentioned earlier).

Alternatively, save up for a binocular in the £50-£60 range?

Whatever you do, don't rush in. Do the research, ask questions, make a proper, considered decision.

I understand what has been said about charity shops - if I'm honest I have several charity shops near me and haven't seen a pair of bins in any of them but the OP may get lucky...

I can't speak for the OP but at 16 waiting/searching/saving were not my strongest personality traits so I was trying to give a non Ebay purchase option as at least Amazon based retailers have a (normally) decent returns policy.

I didn't understand this thread at all (in terms of the numbers) but are the 7 day shop bins likely to be Schott BAK4 or Chinese designation BAK4?

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-binoculars/174840-when-bak4-not-bak4-glass-types-binocular-prisms.html

Like I said I didn't understand the thread particularly well and I'd be interested in the response so I can try and get my head around all this glass designation stuff..

By the way - looking at Binocular Sky's advice there is a recommendation for Zenith 10x50 bins second hand - there are several pairs on ebay and you may just get a pair in budget (though be prepared to lose a few when outbid due to your price ceiling - and remember to factor in the postage).

I was trying to give a non Ebay purchase option as at least Amazon based retailers have a (normally) decent returns policy.

Sorry Carl, just for clarity (if any required), I wasn't implying any criticism your suggestion :)

(Celestron are OK and a purchase from Amazon does carry a certain amount of protection..)

I may buy Celestron from amazon or I will wait and get some more cash.

Im always rushing and I always want things asap

Btw. do you know any good book about basics in astronomy, that explains everything clearly, show how to look into sky, all that basic stuff.

Sorry Carl, just for clarity (if any required), I wasn't implying any criticism your suggestion :)

(Celestron are OK and a purchase from Amazon does carry a certain amount of protection..)

No worries (no criticism taken) :) - TBH I have three pairs of bins - one I've had since I was 12 and the other two are inherited so I speak from a position of relative ignorance anyway.

theres a phillips bino book but dont own it so not sure its quailty

theres also turn left at orion (mine came from the postie an hr ago) but its also for scopes 2.4" n above

a good start might be stellarium its free Stellarium

a pc planisphere

or another the phillips plansphere (northen hemisphere got mine from waterstones) or the david chandler plansphere First Light Optics - David Chandler Night Sky Planisphere which is apparently the best (iv never used one tho but hered about it)

I may buy Celestron from amazon or I will wait and get some more cash.

Im always rushing and I always want things asap

Btw. do you know any good book about basics in astronomy, that explains everything clearly, show how to look into sky, all that basic stuff.

I'm a lot older and still have that problem! :)

People speak highly of many books: For instance: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Stargazing-Binoculars-Robin-Scagell/dp/0540090220

But there is so much available on the net for free it may be worth just reading around here in the binocular observing section. Also look at:

Touring the Universe through Binoculars Atlas (there's an associated book)

Stellarium - many on here use this

The two programmes are free to download and Stellarium is a firm favourite for me.

Good luck. Don't worry too much about BK7 if you are on a very tight budget. A well made pair of BK7 will beat a poorly made set of BK4. I have been using a pair of BK7 for more than a decade and was quite happy with it until I cracked the prism during cleaning.

The Celestron should be good enough to get you started.

Ok, my ugly personality led me to buy this Celestron from amazon.

Hope I wont regret my decision :)

Thanks for help guys :)

Let's put it this way - you may want better in the future but they will get you started - just be realistic about what you will be able to see.

Enjoy.

Yeah I know, I think it aint but for the first time.

So, I bought my first bino, looking for book now,

I dont really want book about 'how to observe sky'

but astronomy theory, about comets, galaxies, stars, planets

all this theoretical stuff put together and explained clearly.

Any ideas?

Archived