Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

celestron vs skywatcher

Given the choice of an EQ5 with Skyscan or a CG5-GT I would buy a HEQ5 :wink:

If you can't afford that, go for the CG5-GT as it has 2" steel legs, upgraded bearings and a whole host of other goodies the standard EQ5 doesn't have (to my knowledge). Also the CG5-GT is a pre-assembled unit and you will have a warrenty with it. Upgrading your EQ5 means you have to do the work yourself and you only get a warrenty for the components, not the system.

Oh, and welcome to the Forum :cool:

Welcome to the forum...

As Gordon says...

Choice between EQ5 with Skyscan or CG5-GT....

HEQ5 Pro. :lol:

Just save up, you'll have one in the end.. :wink:

Or

Sell a kidney and go for the EQ6 Pro... :cool:

Welcome aboard :wink:

I'll second third fourth what Gordon said.

The Celestron CG-5 GT is an 'enhanced' Skywatcher EQ5 (both made by Synta) with a beefier tripod and worm bearings on both axis.

The Skywatcher HEQ5 pro however is a more sturdy and precise mount. Whether it is worth the extra depends on what you are going to use it with (it has a greater maximum payload) and whether you are imaging?

thanks for the welcome guys, :wink:

i would love the heq5 or indeed the eq6 skyscan mount but i have a wife screeming for a new central heating system,although i wont need it if i'm outside with the scope.

at the moment my scope is a skywatcher 200mm newt so i know the heq5 would be better suited to the weight of this scope.

then theres periodic error and backlash compensation which the celeston cant do.

then i dont want a mount that i have to upgrade again.

started with a skywatcher 130m then 3month later upgraded to the 200mm.

thanks andy.

To be honest I would keep your EQ5 for now and save up a few more pennies for the HEQ5. You can buy the CG5-GT now but you'll be looking to upgrade again when you look to photography.

If you have no interest in photography then just get the CG5 and dont look back, it's not a bad mount (although it is noisy) it's just not ideal for long exposure stuff.

Archived