Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEQ6, drift aligning and the altitude bolts

I don't have an obsy, so each time I setup, I have to do it from scratch each time. At the moment I am polar aligning using the tool in EQMod - which is great by the way - and gets me close-ish, but for imaging I obviously need to be better aligned. Which for me means means drift aligning.

So far so good. I have no problems checking and adjusting the azimuth bolts after aligning on a star in the south, that's fine. The problem I am having is in adjusting the altitude bolts after measuring the drift from a star in the east (or west). Obviously when drift aligning I have scope(s) on the mount. And with the weight on the mount adjusting the altitude bolts is obviously hard, and I'm very concerned about exerting too much force on the bolts.

I took a look at my altitude bolts today, and the south-facing altitude bolt is slightly bent. Not hugely, madly, crazy bent - just slightly bent. I am however concerned that continnual altitude adjustment is going to cause me problems in the long run.

If you have an obsy, you polar align maybe once (I assume), and possibly drift align occasionally just to make sure that it's all ok.

My question would be, for those of you that setup and tear-down each session, how do you manage polar height adjustment with scope(s) on the mount? Do you just use the lightest scope you have, and simply adjust the altitude bolts anyway? Or is there another - or better - way of doing it? Does anyone have any tips they could pass on?

I have a set of stronger replacement bolts from Astrodevelopments, but after reading Steve's post a little while ago about mangled mount threads, I'm a bit nervous about actually using them!

Yours,

Nervous of Swindon ;)

What about setting a pier for your mount in the spot where you regularly observe/ image from.

I know it can be an issue for some, their wife/partner object to the change to the garden, although it could be disguised when not in use.

The point is, it would make polar alignment an easier task, and would eliminate it altogether if the mount itself was to remain in situ. adequately covered of course.

If you have got the High tensile bolts for alt az. adjusting, then fit them. I wouldn't hesitate, they are much better than the originals.

Does your NEQ6 not have a polar scope fitted. The alignment can be done without the scope and weights attached, making the use of the bolts less of a hazard.

Ron.

I have to set up each night as well.

I just use the polar scope (which I have calibrated properly) and get it as close as I can before hanging the scope and cameras and counterweights and the kitchen sink off it. Never done a drift align but with PHD on a finderguider I can bang out 10min subs at 750mm without much of a faff.

Andy - I'm only using EQMOD to polar align as well and I've found it to be more than adequate as the guiding sorts things anyway. I've got some bolts from Bern and they are much better than the stock ones. What issue are you having with your sub lengths if any? Or are you wanting to go for mega length subs?

What about setting a pier for your mount in the spot where you regularly observe/ image from.

I know it can be an issue for some, their wife/partner object to the change to the garden, although it could be disguised when not in use.

The point is, it would make polar alignment an easier task, and would eliminate it altogether if the mount itself was to remain in situ. adequately covered of course.

If you have got the High tensile bolts for alt az. adjusting, then fit them. I wouldn't hesitate, they are much better than the originals.

Does your NEQ6 not have a polar scope fitted. The alignment can be done without the scope and weights attached, making the use of the bolts less of a hazard.

Ron.

Thanks Ron.

Yes my NEQ6 does have a polarscope, and I polar align with EQMod and the PA tool without scopes or weights on the mount.

You make a fair point about the pier. It's um, how can I put it .... a delicate issue ;). Any ideas what would be the best way of covering/protecting the mount permanently mounted on a pier?

Thanks Ron.

Yes my NEQ6 does have a polarscope, and I polar align with EQMod and the PA tool without scopes or weights on the mount.

You make a fair point about the pier. It's um, how can I put it .... a delicate issue ;). Any ideas what would be the best way of covering/protecting the mount permanently mounted on a pier?

You could construct a weatherproofed box decorated with artificial Ivy, and surmounted by a Sun Dial, or a Bird Bath.

Let your imagination be your guide. HehHeh! No pun intended honest:D.

Andy - I'm only using EQMOD to polar align as well and I've found it to be more than adequate as the guiding sorts things anyway. I've got some bolts from Bern and they are much better than the stock ones. What issue are you having with your sub lengths if any? Or are you wanting to go for mega length subs?

The EQMod PA tool was always fine for me too. I'm trying shortish subs up to around 5 minutes. My subs used to be fine up until around Christmas. Since then, everything I've done has egg-shaped stars in them. My setup procedure hasn't changed at all. Same as before.

So what I am trying to do is go back to basics. And so it turns out, my PA (as measured by 3 different methods of drift aligning) sucks!. Big time! ;).

Sounds like you've got something sagging or not quite flat (no I'm not being personal LOL). Is it on the ED80 or everything?

Brave man leaving the NEQ6 outside. I considered it but decided I'd only do it with an obsy of some kind. I'd love a pier like described but knowing my luck whatever I put on would leak.

I drive and set up every night too. ;)

I had the same problem with a slightly bent North facing bolt, this despite the mount having upgraded bolts. I have loosened (very slightly) the mounting bolt behind the latitude scale/NEQ6 cover plates. It made a huge difference. With scope, camera et al attached, latitude adjustment is much easier, and requires half the oomph to move the bolts.

Does your mount move quite freely with nothing on it? If not, then maybe try this.

HTH,

Mike

I have to set up each night as well.

I just use the polar scope (which I have calibrated properly) and get it as close as I can before hanging the scope and cameras and counterweights and the kitchen sink off it. Never done a drift align but with PHD on a finderguider I can bang out 10min subs at 750mm without much of a faff.

10 minute subs! I dream about 10 minute subs! ;) Actually, at the moment I'd be grateful for much shorter subs than that - as long as I get round stars! ;)

I think tomorrow I'm gonna have to check my polar scope. If you guys can get reasonable subs doing just a good PA, then maybe my polarscope has got knocked or something ....

Could be the case with the polar scope mate, certainly initially you've got to be looking for a PA fault. I need to check mine again as well ! Oh and I've just found that screw ! LOL

Could be the case with the polar scope mate, certainly initially you've got to be looking for a PA fault. I need to check mine again as well ! Oh and I've just found that screw ! LOL

Yes, that's what I'm beginning to think. Is that the lost screw from your modded camera? ;)

Yes, that's what I'm beginning to think. Is that the lost screw from your modded camera? ;)

The very same, 10 min job thankfully. Pulled the case apart, little shake and out it popped.

Archived