collomation

ok guys/gals ,

I have read and watched video's regarding collomation and it looks

as though i could try it ,however do you think if i took my dob to a local astronomy club [glasgow which meets regularly and I am planning to join once i get some scope practice ]then someone would help me with a run through ie practical hands on experience is better than any video/tutorial. Or does anyone live near glasgow who could help me go through the process [don't want to start it and then hit an ooops moment ]

cheers dave

If you have a Collimating Tool then do either of the above, or have go yourself, its not a black art, if you alter any thing take note of what moves so you can move it back, the adjusting screws need less than a 1/8th of a turn to make a alteration.

the answer to your questions are really as follows:

yes it is something that any newt owner can and needs to be able to do.

I agree that being shown confirms that it's straight forward and I'd be astonished if an astro club meeting did not result in help.

I've successfully completed the process and only got my scope at Christmas. But I have now purchased a laser tool to fine tune the process. One key point is to puts small bit of sticky tape on the adjusting screws so you know how far you have moved it.

Hi Dave, where does the club meet? I'm also from Glasgow. There was a stargazing event today at the Barrhead dams with had a good turnout.

hi huggie they seem to meet once a month at acre road [glasgow observatory plus other events [http://theasg.org.uk/] such as the mugdock dark skies ] was planning on popping along to the botanics one on tuesday the 20th of march [seems to be a limited number of people allowed and a £4 entrance fee but you can see and use their scopes] is there a barrhead society [i stay in the south west in cardonald so barrhead is close to me .[never even thought of the dams for viewing ]

I don't think there is a Barrhead society. It was a event held by Glasgow Uni astronomy society and the local council. Found it really good. I live in Barrhead so not too far from ya. I've not collomated my scope yet so can't help there.

What I did was purchase a collimating tools (laser) and it took the intimidation out of collimating all together! I was extremely scared to do it but to tell you the truth, after my first time I wondered why I was so scared in the first place. You'll be fine!

Isabelle

thanks all.

I have ordered the cheshire collimating thing so should be here tue/wed and will give it a bash . I think that i should manage it [looked at a couple videos on you tube and it doesn't seem to hard ] had a look at the secondary alignment using the hole in cap method and it seemed to be pretty much circular,so think that's ok but i think you need the collimator to check the primary is that correct ?

cheers dave

I know some prefer an empty camera film canister but for me, the laser collimator (although a little pricey) did the trick. I know that there are many others out there but was made aware that other collimating tools may need collimation themselves!!! The one I have does not have this problem.

I wish you the best of luck but am certain that you will think back to this entry and say, "it wasn't so bad after all"

Believe me when I say that I was as anious as you the first time I did it!

Isabelle

Archived