Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A question for dob owners?

Hello iv aquired a 6" dob which is due to arrive soon, my question is if i upgrade the finder to a larger heavier one atc will this affect the ballance of the scope ie will it flop forward? and if i use say a heavier 2" eyepiece or connect a dslr will it upset the ballance of the scope?

Yes, I have a home made full aperture (well nearly!) solar filter for my 10" dob and at low angles it drags the front of the scope down. It's just made of cardboard, duck tape and solar film!

Yes. You will need to counter weight it. I have a 9x50 RACI finder, Rigel QuikFinder, dew shield and chunky wide angle EP's on mine. It's not that bad, but it is nose heavy.

Another useful product to know about is the Televue Equalizer. It's a heavy brass adapter for smaller 1 1/4" eyepieces. It makes your small eyepieces weigh about as much as your big wide-angle ones.

So you can balance your scope with a heavier eyepiece, and it'll remain balanced for your smaller ones as well.

Will Petty

Archived