Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Spectrosope for gems??

Hi folks

Just perusing ebay and entered`spectroscope` came up with entries for gem recognition spectroscopes and some of these seemed a reasonable size (20mm diam) and I wondered how these would fair for experimenting in stellar spectroscopy? maybe with a bit of diy they could be made to fit webcams etc just a thought!!

Steve

No!

They are generally a waste of money!

If you can find a "prism" direct vision spectroscope they can be used....

The Amici prisms can be extracted and used behind an eyepiece to allow planetary nebula to be easier seen... some of the brighter stars Vega, Sirius will show the hydrogen absorption bands.

Bang per buck it's better spending the $$$ on a Star Analyser grating. For astronomy it allows far more options......

Hi Ken

I' ve already got a SA grating which I enjoy using with my DMK camera I was thinking of having a tinker at making my own spectroscope ;-) Regards Steve

It's always good fun to experiment - a simple 30deg or 45deg prism before a DSLR perfect for starfield spectrograph.

My old webpage WPO main spectrum page - [don't do much spectro nowadays] shows lots of permutations under "Equipment" - particularly like the hi-res spectro Ebert conversion of SCT ! - sorry about the broken links:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived