why wait ?

Hi all

I am getting delivery of my scope this month a 250px flexi goto and was going to get a 2x barlow and a better ep for planetary viewing

However I have read comments where people have advised wait a while before upgrading eps so I was wondering is there a reason I should wait even the guy at the telescope shop said to wait a while

The thing for me is I know the standard eps that come with the scope are not great.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

The general idea of waiting is so you can join an astro soc or observing group and try a few loaner eyepieces out before you buy. You learn a lot about ep's that way and it gives a great idea what suits yourself best - or you could make some costly mistakes ;)

You will need to find the limitations of the supplied EP's i would go for a wide FOV as big a MM as you can get away with that will allow for finding the stuff you want to view, then go for the higher power EP's with the limits of your scope taken into account.

You don't tend to realise how bad the supplied EP's are until you get to view through some decent ones, and then you realise what you've been missing.

As mentioned above though, there are all different types, and some are more comfortable than others in use.

Cheers

Tim

Also, some people love some EPS, others hate them.

For example: Some EPs are sensitive to eye position - this bothers some people but not others, some people want the widest field, others the sharpest. Outer field distortion bothers some people but not others. Sometimes you just cant put your finger on why you don't like it (or conversely why everyone else is moaning about it).

The advice of trying before you buy is sound. At least it teaches you what you like and don't like.

Andrew

summed it up Kim,

a visit to a local group would be a worthy exercise for helping to decide what to buy next. More opinions and the chance to test for yourself are cost saving ;)

of course, if you do not wish to hang on then I would imagine many here on SGL will recommend BST Explorers as a great choice to use with your dobsonian Michael.

I think basically it's because choosing eyepieces can be more confusing than selecting the scope !.

There is so much choice and a huge variation in pricing from £30 - £500+ per eyepiece.

Archived