NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Laser Collimator - Advice please! :)

I use the predecessor to this Antares collimator and find it works well with my 10" Newtonian. I've also used Rother Valley Optics allot too and find them very reliable. Antares Laser Collimator. New & Improved Version | Telescope Accessories | Rother Valley Optics

Laser collimators--especially inexpensive ones--are notoriously badly tuned and need a lot of collimation themselves to work properly. A cheshire is the best way to collimate scopes of f/5 and above. Below that, you should use a cheshire in combination with an autocollimator.

Once you get the hang of it, these tools are easy and fun to use, and actually much less fuss than laser collimators.

Will Petty

I wouldn't even bother with a cheap collimator - I had a play with mine yesterday, and it needed collimating. Suffice to say, it's now broken and in the bin. Should have bought a good one to start with.

Only thing I find with a Cheshire collimator is that they are next to useless when used in the dark, which is no good when you arrive at your darksky site after sun set. My Badder laser collimator is now 4 years old and still working fine, I store it in my eyepiece box so there's no chance of it getting knocked about!

A Cheshire is your best option. You can use it in the dark with a tourch shining on the reflective disk.

If you really want to use a laser then a hotec sca is your best option. But its not cheap.

In my experience a Cheshire will get you 99% there and a star test the rest of the way. My hotec only comes out now and again for a quick check.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived