Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First smudges!!

Dave7a

Through the cheapest bino's ever, Josh and I were both totally amazed to be able to see the faint glow of Andromeda and the Orion Nebula tonight. ;) Even with a bright moon and a streetlight 20ft away! I certainly wasn't prepared for the amount of extra detail we could see through the binos. The moon looked fantastic too. We tried to find the Rosette Nebula with no luck... I don't know if it's even possible to see that with bins?

Highlight of the night for me as Josh was looking at M42... "Wow...!! We're watching stars being made Dad!"

Fantastic ;)

He (and I!!) can't wait to get a 'real' telescope.

Love it!!

Happy days!

There are a fair few other smudges you could probably see - especially open clusters and globular clusters.

The Rosette may be a push. I have semi-rural skies and a 5" refractor and haven't spotted it visually yet. It is one that is a better photgraphic target, perhaps.

Enjoy your bins and happy scope hunting!

Good on you! Enjoy, a magical journey awaits. As ***** Wonka would say, "Come with me, come with me, on a tour of pure imagination"....or something like that.

Bart

Edit, didn't realise Mr Wonkas first name would receive the *** treatment, sorry about that!

Magical indeed Bart! ;)

I've found a scope already but was holding off as it's not my son's birthday for a few weeks. After our experience tonight, I might just go and get it tomorrow!

Is that you behind the kit on your avatar DKD? Mmmm....drums. gotta love em

Well done. Have a crack at the Auriga Clusters next. M37, M38 and M36 were among my early finds when I started with Binos. You may need to wait a week or two though as the moon will make spotting them dificult at the moment.

Magical indeed Bart! :)

I've found a scope already but was holding off as it's not my son's birthday for a few weeks. After our experience tonight, I might just go and get it tomorrow!

Is that you behind the kit on your avatar DKD? Mmmm....drums. gotta love em

It is..... or at least was. I have morphed into one of the Mr Men.

Andromeda is a good find, many fail.

Follow the line of the 3 belt stars above the Orion Nebula to the right and you pass an orange star then bump into a bumch of stars, The Pleiades.

If you get a scope get an easy one to use.

I took my 10x50's out last night to have a look around for comet Gerrard. Its been so long since i have used bins of any size that i had forgotten just how amazing the views are with them. M42 looked brilliant. Load of nebulosity and very contrasting against the night sky.

Archived